Quick Question about unlocking pipelines..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolancer

Daemon Poster
(my question is only regarding unlocking, not Overclocking at all)

ok, i have a agp 6800nu (not LE) card here.. and i was wondering...

Are there any risks involved when unlocking it from 12pipes to 16?

I know theres always a posiblity that once unlocked, one might experience artifacts... But If it has to be reverted back to 12pipes, is there a possibility that the artifacts will remain permanently?

...example - when you relock the extra pipes, might it possibly lock different pipes and might leave a bad one unlocked, but still only have 12pipes?

...and is unlocking software dependent? example - will it revert back to 12 if the HD is formatted?

...If there is no permanent risk involved... will all i need is Rivatuner?

hello well you ve got like a 50/50 chance in getting lucky with unlocking to 16 pipes and the 6 shaders. and if it doesnt work you will know, becasue most that happens is artifacts either in 2d or 3d, and some artifacts on boot. but if no artifacts be sure to benchmark several times to ensure its stable and works correctly with no artifacs. but if not simply flash the bios to orignal and deal with 12 pipes and 5 shaders and overclock it and you will deffinetly be beating 6600gt lol

I believe he can simply use rivatuner to unlock the pipelines...so I don't think he'd even have to mess with flashing the vid cards BIOS at all.

You should check over at xtremesystems jolancer...I know theres a lot of people there who've used rivatuner to unlock the pipelines in the 6200 (once unlocking the pipelines, they had some impressive OC's and that 6200 was = to a stock 6600GT...not bad considering the much lower price)

Mainly what I'm saying is that I KNOW theres quite a few people whos unlocked pipelines and have more experience...don't know if too many people have unlocked pipelines

iv since checked out Rivatuner, and it appears that you can select the specific pipes you wont and dont wont... but my original consernse still need answering... also i have not used Rivatuner yet, because once i click on "allow enabling hardware masked units" it gives a warning that says... "unpridictable resaults may accure including permanent damages".... Is this ture? can permanent damage accure from enabling the pipes?

burned-ati said:
hello well you ve got like a 50/50 chance in getting lucky with unlocking to 16 pipes and the 6 shaders. and if it doesnt work you will know, becasue most that happens is artifacts either in 2d or 3d, and some artifacts on boot. but if no artifacts be sure to benchmark several times to ensure its stable and works correctly with no artifacs. but if not simply flash the bios to orignal and deal with 12 pipes and 5 shaders and overclock it and you will deffinetly be beating 6600gt lol
ok, Great, next time i need someone to repeat what im asking ill give you a call.

FYI - the 6800nu stock beats the 6600gt, and it probably beats it even if the 6600gt is overclocked.... i tested them both..

For a quick real example, i used.... and the resaults in Doom3's timedemo demo1 1...

xp3000+, ddr400, 6600gt
High, 1024x, 2xAA = 53.4fps

2.4P4, ddr333, 6800nu
High, 1024x, 2xAA = 60 something fps
Ultra, 1024x, 2xAA = 58fps

see, the system i was testing the 6600gt on was even better too.

Nubius said:
You should check over at xtremesystems jolancer...I know theres a lot of people there who've used rivatuner to unlock the pipelines in the 6200 (once unlocking the pipelines, they had some impressive OC's and that 6200 was = to a stock 6600GT...not bad considering the much lower price)
yea, im checking around.

Update:

Iv recently come across more info elseware that says... If the unlocked pipes are damaged it might cause the card to run too hot to be stable and produce artifacts...

If that is the case then i *Think the warning rivatuner puts out is conserning heat damage... witch is good news if true, because that is easily monitored and avoided.

hello jolancer sounded a bit affended when i said he would deffinetly be beating a 6600gt well jolancer ive seen 6600gts best a 6800 in some spots,but yes at stock a 6800 is beating 6600gt as i meant before u would deffinetly be beating it as in beting it better lol

ok, Great, next time i need someone to repeat what im asking ill give you a call.

FYI - the 6800nu stock beats the 6600gt, and it probably beats it even if the 6600gt is overclocked.... i tested them both..

For a quick real example, i used.... and the resaults in Doom3's timedemo demo1 1...

xp3000+, ddr400, 6600gt
High, 1024x, 2xAA = 53.4fps

2.4P4, ddr333, 6800nu
High, 1024x, 2xAA = 60 something fps
Ultra, 1024x, 2xAA = 58fps

see, the system i was testing the 6600gt on was even better too

SO WHAT JOLANCER IS SAYING IS HES BASHING ON ARE 6600GT,S LOL (WHAT DO U SCORE IN 3DMARK 05 JOLANCER?)

the 6600gt i mentioned scored 3175 in 3Dmark05

I did not bother to run it on the 6800 because i could already tell the 6800 was faster... if i were to guess it would probably score around 3600 maybe give or take.
------------------------------------------
UPDATE:
I just used Rivatuner and unlocked the extra pipes and shaders.... witch brings a couple more questions...

I experienced no problems, but i notice only a very very little performance increas.... In Doom3's Timedemo i get exactly 1fps more... In far cry fps is exactly the same unless i hit an intensive part were fps drops then i notice a couple fps more.

Rivatuner displayed 12x,5vp befor i unlocked it.... then 16x,6vp after i unlocked it.

Do you guys think the unlocking worked? or maybe the pipes i unlocked just dont work at all and show almost no improvement? Iv never unlocked a card befor, so im not shur if your sapost to see much improvment?

hi guys,
i am very very new to the overclocking and unlockings too,
So i was wandering can you unlock pipelines in a 6600 gt.
Not very sure about anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom