Quick Question on the 7950GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avalanch3

Daemon Poster
hey guys,

i just got the Leadtek WinFast PX7950GT and i noticed that the fan doesnt seem to be spinning very fast while playing games even tho the temp sits on about 72-75.....and i lookd in the settings for the card and it said that the fan was set to run at full speed all the time

i was wondering is it normal for this one not to spin fast or is there sumthing wrong with it ??

I've heard the Leadtek ones are supposed to have a quiet cooler. I have a Leadtek 7950 GT myself, but I've never used the stock cooler (I put my VF900 straight on it once I got it)
I'll plug in the fan again and see what it's like

just tried it. the stock cooler is actually pretty quiet, and seems to go at a pretty low RPM.
in fact, it's quieter than my Zalman at high speed (though the Zalman is much better at actually cooling)

it took me a little while to boot the PC up again. my AU$45 motherboard doesn't like the HTT being so high, so it often doesn't boot up. but once it is in Windows, it works fine.

no, my Zalman VF900 is easy to install.

I had to reset my BIOS a few times, because my motherboard doesn't like running at 280 HTT.
but for an AU$45 motherboard, 280HTT is still pretty good. once it's in Windows, it runs fine.

oh ok...is it really worth getn the zalman tho becuase the card is still going to perform the same isnt it ? lol cause i dnt normally over clock

without the VF900 on, I probably would not be able to go over about 650MHZ safely.

Have you seen my voltmod guide?
7900 GT's and 7950 GT's are almost the same. the voltmods will work on both.

7950's just have a few more voltage regulators, to start at 1.4V (3D) or 1.3V (2D)

yea i seen it but i dont really feel comfortable doing stuff like that to my brand new card haha...im not to good with electronics like that

Avalanch3 said:
hahaha ok....is it hard to fit zalman coolers ???

No dude it's incredibly easy. :)

The hardest part is getting all the thermal paste off the core, without spreading it everywhere. To do that, just take a coffee filter (or any lint-free cloth, coffee filters are lint-free) and some rubbing alcohol and wipe it off. Put your new thermal grease on (Arctic Silver-5 is highly recommended over the stock Zalman stuff, I think it cools like 300x (literally) better than the stock Zalman stuff).

Then, you take some studs (included) and screw them into one of the holes on the "arms" on the heatsink, and then drop them through the holes on your videocard, put a little washer thing and a spring there, then put the thumb-screw on the other side and snug them all up.

It takes like five minutes. :)

Plus it's incredibly quiet, I can't hear mine at all even if I stick my face right up next to it (and that's at 100% fan speed).

Zalman VF900 = awesome. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom