question related to RAM and CPU OCing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazieaznboi

Daemon Poster
i have an opteron 144 and im trying to increase the HTT. if i increase the HTT and use a RAM divider to keep my ram running at stock, will this cause the system to hang? i know that when i increase the HTT my whole system is being OCed so im worried that my RAM won't keep up with the rest of my system.

will this cause my system to hang?

yes, it will.
lower your ram speed to the lowest availible in bios.
decrease your htt multiplier(this will be in the memory section of your bios) to 3 (maybe 4, but 3 is better), and get the max out of your cpu.
you dont want the ht bus going much over 1000.
work your RAM up from there.

if i set the RAM to the lowest speed possible should i tighten the timings or loosen it or jsut keep it as it is?

i would try to get my cpu as high as possible before messing with ram, so i say keep it set on like 533 or 667 max.
you should be able to get the tightest timings possible if you keep the ram speed down below stock a little. if it is good oc ram, you will be able to overclock with tight timings.
i find that the order of instability in my system goes like this:
cpu voltage, ht multiplier, ram timings, ram speed, and cpu speed.
in descending order of what causes instability most often.
i suggest setting the ram low, adjusting cpu speed as high as possible, then fiddle with the ram to see how much you can overclock it.
dont forget to lower your ht multi to 3 or 4 at the highest.

htt is what i call cpu external clock. it has a multiplier, which i call simply the cpu multi.
the ht multiplier has to do with the LDT, or the integrated memory controller basically.
it will be a number, 1 thru 5(on my 4200, anyways). you multiply this number by your htt to get your HT bus speed eg. 200(cpu ext clock)x5(ht multiplier)=1000, so 1000 is your "fsb" so to speak.

OOOOO, i understand now... and all these time i was thinking something else... thanks for clearing this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom