a question about overclocking - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 12-26-2003, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to mike11973
Question a question about overclocking

i am runnning a asus a7n8x delux w/ a amd xp 2100...currently under my bios i have the multiplier frequency set a 133mghz w/ the fsb being 266 on the current chip i am using....under the multiplier frequencys i have the default at 13.5x w/ the optioin of going from as low as 7.0x and as high as 14.0x which is what it is set at now....the question is...what do the other multiplier frequencys mean that have "lets say a 7.0/13.5"?? and am i capable of overclocking the processor anyhigher than what i have it at on this current motherboard?

NF7/S Rev2.0 : D25 Modded bios by -=Merlin=-(cpc on)
2500+M @ (250*10)
G.Skill ddr 400LA(TCCD)running 1:1@250
Saphire 9800 Pro

Knowledge IS power....dont be afraid to be open to it.

<a href=\"http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=1493626296\">My aquamark score</a>

overclocking 101
Old 12-26-2003, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

you will have to set the multiplier to 166 from the 133 you have now to increase your front side bus FSB since your CPU multiplier cannot go higher than 14x.

should start out at a CPU multiplier of 11 since:

and your default was 133x14=1862

once you are sure 11x166 works keep increasing your cpu multiplier by .5 til your system becomes unstable and back off 1 or 2 settings down. to test for instability you can run a very cpu intensive game like red alert 2: yuri's revenge.

you can also use a cpu test program, but i'm too impatient to wait that long and testing with actually games/ programs is still a decent way to find instability.

also check this info out:
Closed Thread