Question about overclocking

Ornamexito

Baseband Member
Hello, im actually new to overclocking, never done it my self.
I know you can overclock CPU's and GPU's but can you overclock RAM and other things?

Is it possible to overclock AMD athlon 64 x2 dual core 4000+ 2.1 GHz ?
Also im getting a gtx 550 ti soon, how do you overclock that?

The CPU and RAM overclocking all depends on your motherboard and more importantly bios settings. In short, yes you can overclock your RAM, change the timings, raise your HT speed, FSB speed, and many other things. Your motherboard and bios limits what the settings you can change.

For your second question, see first reply. It depends on your board and also how powerful your PSU is.

Use MSI afterburner to raise the clocks. Keep an eye on your temps and if you get any artifacting you have raised it too high.

Thanks, i entered the bios of my mobo and i cant find anything to do with overclocking (i know how it looks like). I also downloaded AMD overdrive but it said that AMD chipset is not supported or something like that. Any ideas?

Are you using a mainstream pre-built computer? (Dell, HP, Compaq, etc..)
Most, if not all, mainstream companies lock/remove overclocking settings in BIOS.

Thanks, i entered the bios of my mobo and i cant find anything to do with overclocking (i know how it looks like). I also downloaded AMD overdrive but it said that AMD chipset is not supported or something like that. Any ideas?

Are you using a mainstream pre-built computer? (Dell, HP, Compaq, etc..)
Most, if not all, mainstream companies lock/remove overclocking settings in BIOS.
This. If you are using a prebuilt then odds are all overclocking options are taken out.

Oh yes i am using a mobo from a older computer "packardbell" :/ Oh well im getting a new mobo for christmas, thanks for the help anyway! :D

Codename:Reply

ok,sir...firstly it is possible to overclock random access memory(ram),graphic processing unit(gpu or graphic card) but the point is the more you overclock is the more you use more power,and the more your components heat up....
Secondly...overclocking ur components might lead to extreeme damage;or even burns ur components.bt to make sure that doesnt happen just overclock ur pc on average and i pretty sure it will work out

One thing that I've been wondering about overclocking is how much it shortens your processors life. If you have a really good cooling system and an overclocked processor, will it not hurt it? Or will just the fact that it's being overclocked kill it sooner?

That Athlon x2 4000+ is a non- Black Edition right? That means you'll need to overclock via FSB. See the Stickies index and take a look at my memory timings chart. It'll come in infinitely useful as when you increase FSB you're also increasing the frequency of a bunch of other components in your computer.
Ax2 4000+ is a Brisbane core IIRC and the max those things will go is 3.3GHZ without forcing it a LOT of voltage. There's a bit of an overclocking "wall" at the 3.2/3.3ghz range.

Back
Top Bottom