Question about OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh ok. So what is the point of dividing the Ram and Cpu?

What effect happens when I OC the CPU? Loads Xp, games, and applications faster?

Why do people OC?

Basically adding a ram divider allows you to overclock much more, it basically sets a ratio of cpu : ram speed.

When you oc your CPU, apps and stuff do run faster and smoother, but ocing like 20 / 30 Mhz in fsb will be kind of noticeable.

The point of ocing is to allow people to buy a product that's like $100, and to OC it to a product that costs like $150, basically meaning free speed

Ohh ok I'm starting to understand a little bit now.

So will it be a bad thing if I just OC my cpu without getting a divider?

Willeh said:
When you oc your CPU, apps and stuff do run faster and smoother, but ocing like 20 / 30 Mhz in fsb will be kind of noticeable.

So what your saying here is that I will only notice a difference if I OC it 20/30+ mhz?

Jayvon said:
Ohh ok I'm starting to understand a little bit now.

So will it be a bad thing if I just OC my cpu without getting a divider?
only if your RAM can't handle the higher speeds.

if your RAM can't handle higher speeds, but your CPU can, then you use a divider.

Ok I just OC'ed my CPU to 205mhz / 1.400v, and running Prime95 toture test at the moment.

Ive been searching around and read that some people put there mhz up to 900mhz on their 3200?

How was that possible when I put mine to 260mhz 1.500v and it gave me the black blank screen, and Had to restart my cmos?

260 Mhz ? :eek: big leap from 200 Mhz lol

anyway.. yeh you'll only really feel a difference when you oc to around 220 and over, ocing like 10 mhz is like 1 Ghz speed increase and it isnt that noticeable

good luck with your ocing

If I wanted to put my mhz to 220 would I have to up my voltage also?

If so by how much?

Jayvon said:
Ok I just OC'ed my CPU to 205mhz / 1.400v, and running Prime95 toture test at the moment.

Ive been searching around and read that some people put there mhz up to 900mhz on their 3200?

How was that possible when I put mine to 260mhz 1.500v and it gave me the black blank screen, and Had to restart my cmos?

Listen and READ VERY CAREFULLY what all the previous post have said.

They failed to mention that overclocking can FRY your components.....RENDER THEM USELESS, so you would then have to go out and BUY new components/hardware...ie adding voltage to anything increases the temp...high temps are bad for computer hardware...SLOW DOWN...increase in small increments , NOT to 260!!!!

Read all of this:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=79266

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=52812

Make sure you know how to check your temps of your CPU. motherboard, etc...

Good luck.

Yea I just realized that... Im not OC'ing to 260.

I want to OC it to 220, but will I need to bump up the voltage?

If so how much will I have to bump it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom