Question about Harddrives

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPdawg218

Solid State Member
I currently have a laptop that is a few years old, anyhow I am building my own computer (a desktop) with a friend of mine. I have a external 120 gig Western Digital External Harddrive hooked up to my laptop now. (The external harddrive is brand new) I need a harddrive for the new computer I am building and was wondering would it work if i opened up the external harddrive casing and removed it from there and installed it in my computer i am building. Whats your thoughts on the change in power supply and could it work and what?

Pat

im confused on the type of external drive this is, is it an external enclosure for an ide drive? or are you talking about a usb external drive that came all assembled in a box?

I would get a small sata hard drive anyway for os and games, and use the removable one as storage for music and things, keeping it as a removable one.

It depends. if you went out to the store and bought a pre-assembled external hard drive, you probably will not be able to use it as IDE. However, if you bought an IDE harddrive and bought an external FireWire enclsure for it, you will be able to switch it out fine.

id agree with trifid really. itd be best to just save up some money and buy another HDD. small ones are pretty cheap anyways. just keep the external as storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom