Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WWS

In Runtime
I was curious if one should overclock the northbridge and/or southbridge chipsets when overclocking the CPU, memory, and video card?

Are these chipsets directly related to the FSB setting somehow and that is why I have not read anything on overclocking them?

I am asking because I believe I have settings in my motherboard bios to adjust the NB and SB frequencies.

if you are overclocking the FSB to get an increase, then yes you need to adjust the voltage on the NB. When you increase the fsb,... you need to increase the voltage on the cpu, northbridge, and memory(if you are letting it go up and not using a divider)

I will try and adjust the voltage on the NB and see what happens. I also have a setting to adjust the PCI-E Frequency should I increase the frequency if overclocking the video card?

WWS said:
I also have a setting to adjust the PCI-E Frequency should I increase the frequency if overclocking the video card?

i'm thinking negative on that. i cant remember if it is the pci-e voltage or frequency...but i know one of them can screw your card up if you jack with it.

what would be the benifit of raising the frequency?
i read something here the other day about how the frequency isn't only for the pci-e but the whole bus of something something...but i can't recall what exactly it said...only that it was a bad idea.
anyone?

I was able to overclock my X2 4800+ to 2.82GHz and that is about all. I am not sure if I can do anything else to get more juice out of my system other than upgrade a few things. Do you think that going from 2.4 to 2.82 is good or should I expect more?Here are my settings:

FSB = 235
CPU Mult = 12
Mem = 183
Vcore = 1.6V
VDimm = 2.8V
Mem Settings are 2-3-2-6

3Dmork06 = 4235 ????

Let me know if there is anything else to try

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom