Q9450 Overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.....back again.

I looked at some "guides", on this site and others on the topic of overclocking. I must be doing something wrong.

As suggested, when I first went into my BIOS, I Disabled both EIST and C1E (and if I got a stable overclock, I could always go back in and Enable them according to a guide I read).

With my Gigabyte motherboard (# EP35C-DS3R), it has something called an M.I.T. Intelligent Tweaker in the BIOS, and it's in here where you can do your tweaking and overclocking.

In here I raised my FSB to 400, giving me a speed on the processor of 3.2GHz. I then went down to the voltage control which was set to Auto (when leaving it on Auto in the past after raising the FSB, I would POST, get to my desktop, but when I would load up an intensive app like the game of Crysis, my system would crash out and reboot.)

With it on Auto, I saw the VCore reading of 1.220v. So, I took it off of Auto and raised the voltage to 1.25625. I then seem to go to my POST screen twice (??), and then I eventually get that message on-screen that says that Windows did not start properly, and the choices of Safe Mode, Start Normally, etc. ...........

So I put EIST and C1E back to Enabled and put the FSB/ processor back to its default specs.

Any help anyone? 3.2GHz shouldn't be too much to ask for this processor; I know there are those out there that get even more. And I've got a good PSU putting out the juice, a Corsair TX 750W.

Poizen22: You still out there? You offered your help about 4 days ago and I haven't heard from you.

nagasama: I noticed that you have the Q9450 also and have it overclocked to 3.75GHz. We don't have the same motherboard, but still, can you tell me some of the settings you employed to get yours up this high? I'd be happy with that 3.2GHz I mentioned!!!:)

Thanks for any help, tips, and suggestions.
Pez

firs thing to check, what is your ram stock speed and what do you have it set to when you are OCing? auto? take it off auto, and keep it under the stock speed rating at first, that way you can eliminate it as the problem (or a potential problem). and yes, it will do 3.2ghz easy, you are just missing something simple. welcome to the world of overclocking.

Hey nagasama; thanks for the reply.

My RAM is Corsair, 4GB total (2 times two sticks); here's the specs that are written for it:

Corsair RAM, Twin 2 x 4096-6, 6400C5DHX (2 x 2GB), Speed 800MHz, 5-5-5-18

And you're probably right; I'm just missing something simple.........

I just tried OC'ing again about an hour ago, and I get my POST screen twice, and then that error message again that Windows didn't load properly.......

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

So if I'm doing the other stuff correct in regard to the CPU with disabling C1E, upping the FSB to 400 to get a CPU speed of 3.2, and then voltage this time to 1.275........but then getting that POST screen twice........

With my RAM specs that I listed, what do you suggest? What do I look for in the BIOS? What's the name of this particular setting?

And yup, 3.2GHz should be easy from what I hear, but it's eluding me.

Please let me know about the RAM and what I should look for/ change in the BIOS.

Thanks,
Pez

lol see pm 3rdshift
OP...yes if you are not adjusting your ram speed your ram is probably being overclocked too far and keepin it from posting.
i dont know what exactly it is called on your mobo, but it should be in the advanced memory settings or something similar, it will be in the same section that has your ram timings.
if you can, take some pictures of your bios pages (all of them) and post them and i will be able to tell you where it is if you do not see anything like what i mentioned.

Hi nagasama.

Well, since you can't take screenshots of the BIOS (since Windows hasn't loaded yet), I had a bit of a problem. I have a cell phone with the camera feature, but, I can't get the pics out of the camera. It's not a very fancy camera, no plug for a USB cord to go to the computer, and I don't have the feature enabled (don't pay a service fee) to upload the pics to the 'Net or an e-mail address.

So.....I did the next best thing , which was to capture screen shots from the Gigabyte manual for my particular model motherboard (EP35C-DS3R). So, the pics you're about to see are just "stock" shots and the values you'll see are not from my actual computer; they're just the shots that were included in the manual. When one of my actual readings differs from the manuals' shot, I'll type in and tell you what mine says.

Here's the basic opening screen:
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217/PezzyDude/BIOS1.jpg

Here's the Advanced BIOS Features:
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217/PezzyDude/BIOS2.jpg

My differences in the Advanced screen are:
First boot: Hard Disk
Second: CD ROM
Third: Floppy
Init Display First: PEG

Here's the PC Health Status:
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217/PezzyDude/BIOS3.jpg

My differences in Health are:
Vcore: 1.220v
DDR2/ DDR3 Voltage: 1.920v
+3.3v: 3.344v
+12v: 12.239v
Current Sys. Temp.: 49C
Current CPU Temp.: 38C
Current CPU Fan Speed: 1785 RPM

Here's the MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.):
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217/PezzyDude/BIOS4.jpg

My Tweaker differences are:
CPU Clock Ratio: 8x
CPU Frequency: 2.66GHz (333 x 8)
CPU Host Frequency (MHz): 333
Performance Enhance: Standard
Memory Frequency (MHz): 800 800
CAS Latency: 5 Auto
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5 Auto
DRAM RAS# Precharge: 5 Auto
Precharge delay (tRAS): 18 Auto

Here's the Tweaker continued:
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217/PezzyDude/BIOS4B.jpg

My Tweaker continued differences are:
System Voltage Control: Auto
Normal CPU Vcore: 1.25000v

So there you have it.

When I tried to do some of the overclocking myself (and didn't have much luck!!!), in the Tweaker I had to set the System Voltage Control to Manual so I could boost it a tiny bit to something like 1.275.

But how about in the first Tweaker screenshot (http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217/PezzyDude/BIOS4.jpg) where there's the System Memory Multiplier and the DRAM Timing Selectable? Is this what you were referring to? Will something here need to be changed?

When I was in the BIOS and trying to overclock, I noticed that when I was upping the FSB, the Memory Frequency would start changing right along with it (mine, like I listed above, is 800, but it would start climbing when I was raising the FSB).

I hope you can help me with the info I provided.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Pez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom