Q9450 Overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pezzy

In Runtime
Hi all.

I've done searching on this forum and other forums, and I realize there's already information out there on overclocking the Intel Q9450 processor, but, could I get somewhat of a step-by-step tutorial on it from someone who knows all the precise details?

From things I've read, the Q9450 seems to be an easily overclockable processor. Basically, from some things I've read, you just seem to have to up the FSB in the BIOS to get the speed to where you'd like it (stock for the Q9450 is 2.66GHz; I'd like about 3 or 3.2GHz).

I've tried doing the FSB adjustment, but when I play an intense 3D application (like the game of Crysis or Grid Racecar Driver), my game will freeze up and then the system will crash out and reboot. My graphics card can handle things (it's a GeForce 9800 GX2). Also have a solid PSU, a Corsair TX750. And Corsair RAM, Twin 2 x 4096-6, 6400C5DHX, Speed 800MHz.

And also, when I've tried adjusting things in my BIOS (I have a Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R which has something called an M.I.T. Intelligent Tweaker), I sometimes can't get past the Windows XP Pro booting screen (with that little crawling "blue caterpillar" ); that Win XP screen starts to fade in and then freezes there, and then I have to hard boot and go back into the BIOS and undo what I just did just so I can boot to my desktop.

First, check out this screenshot of CPU-Z:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217/PezzyDude/CPU-Z.jpg

Do you see down where it has the "Clocks (Core #0)" section? It says "Multiplier x 6.0". I read somewhere on the 'Net that it should be "x 8.0"; is this true? Because right above that "Multiplier" it says "Core Speed" and it's reading "2000.0MHz"; shouldn't it be reading something like "2.666MHz", like what my Q9450 is supposed to be rated at stock?

I think this instability I've been getting when trying to attempt to overclock may have something to do with voltages. Yes? No? Possible? On the CPU-Z screenshot I provided, it reads Core Voltage 1.104. I've read that sometimes when overclocking that it sometimes becomes necessary to raise the voltage. If this is true in my case (so I won't get stuck at the Win XP boot screen, or, get crashed out of games like Crysis into a system reboot), could I please get a precise step-by-step on exactly how much to raise the voltage? Things like how many increments? I don't want to overdo or underdo anything and harm or fry my processor.

So.....if anyone out there could give me some step-by-step to squeeze more speed out of this processor, I'd surely appreciate it!!! :)

Thanks!
Pez

go into andvanced bios features go to cpu features and dissable everything that has to do with temeperature control, i had both the speed step thigns dissabled on my 750iftw and it tsill did it i had to dissable everythign exept my core's whic i learnt in a 750iftw oc vid onyoutube.

Hi Poizen22; thanks for the quick reply!

I see in your signature that you have a similar processor to mine, the Q6600. However, I was hoping you could give me some more specifics.

You say I should go into my advanced BIOS features and disable everything that has to do with cpu temperature control? I know overclocking in-and-of-itself can be risky, but is turning off temperature controls "safe"?

And what do you mean by "both the speed step things disabled" and "it still did it"? What did what?

And what did you mean by "disable everything except my core's whic"?

And what did you learn about "oc vid" on youtube? "oc" stands for "overclock", but is "vid" just short for "video"? Or do the letters "V-I-D" stand for something? Like "LOL" and "BRB".

Sorry if I'm appearing dense or "dumb", it's just that I need some specific details and want to do this overclock thing right. All's I'd need is to overdo something and fry my processor.

Did you see in my original post about the voltage questions I asked? I've never done that, and need some explicit, detailed instructions. When I tried some FSB adjustments, there were times where I "froze" at the Win XP splash screen and it wouldn't boot at all into my desktop.

Did you see my screenshot of CPU-Z? How about the Multiplier x 6? Or should it be x 8? Core Speed 2000.0MHz?? Shouldn't it be 2666MHz???

Please, hit me over the head with some details. I don't want to screw up my system and end up damaging a part permanently that I'll have to replace by forking out money that I really don't have right now.

Specifics, please!!!:eek:
Pez

-your a litle right lol vid is your voltage rating. anyway but i used it for a short of video and yes oc means over clock.

-now temperature controls often downclock your processor when idle to preserve energy and what not. one main control is intel speed step to disable it you need to turn off 2 features in your bios not sure which, the rest that i turned off where other features that where just part of my mother board and where downclocking it.

-now what i mean by not dissabling a core is you dont want to turn off one of your proccesor cores because you own and payed for a quad core not a tri core or duel core or even singel core chip.

-now as for voltages i cant really tell with out you posting a screen shot of coretemp running as it will display yoru vid and give me a good idea of the voltage you will need @ what clock.

-also not sure if you mentioned it what mother board do you have, if you let me know i can dig up as much dirt as i can on it and help you acheive yoru maximum overclock.

-also i need to know what ram aswell, and what heatsink you are running, with all these i should be able to guide you to a good and stable oc.

also go thru everything that vernong has posted in that thread turn it all off then come back to me and i will help you overclock like a champ.

Hi again, all; thanks for the replies!

And Poizen22: thanks for the offer of getting me to the point of overclocking "like a champ". I appreciate it!!

So, do you think those two items are like thirdshiftdj said, called "EIST & C1E"? I believe I saw those names when I was in my BIOS setup one time. So I'm to disable these two features? These prevent or get in the way of an overclock?

My motherboard is a Gigabyte, model # EP35C-DS3R. A while back, I actually contacted Gigabyte tech support for info about overclocking, but their reply was basically saying to me that they are not allowed to give out suggestions or information on overclocking, that it's something that I have to just experiment on my own with and see what works and what doesn't. That was real helpful. I guess I understand their position, though. If I were to try something they suggested and it severely damaged a part in my system, I could try to hold them liable because they told me to do it. I'm just wary of damaging something anyway. But I've heard that the Q9450 is an overclocking friendly chip; I just want to do tis right so I thought I'd come here to this forum and seek out info from those that have done it before.

I of course have the manual that came with my Gigabyte motherboard, but that's not exactly a guide for overclocking. It just tells you what the items are in the BIOS, not instructions on overclocking itself.

You mentioned RAM, too:
Corsair RAM, Twin 2 x 4096-6, 6400C5DHX, Speed 800MHz

Heatsink: Thermaltake 775D

And here's a screenshot of CoreTemp:
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217/PezzyDude/CoreTemp.jpg

If you could get me to run stable (with games like Crysis) at around 3 or 3.2Ghz, that'd be so cool.

And thirdshiftdj......"read a freaking guide". I hear ya, I hear ya!! I do feel kind of foolish in a way, 'cause I know there's lots of info out there on the 'Net on this overclocking stuff. I just figured that with posters on a forum like this that I will get more direct, up-to-date information, right from a person who's done it recently. People helping people, keeping it going around, keep the karma flowing.

And Poizen22: I look forward to hearing from you again after the information I supplied that you requested.
Pez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom