Q6600 on stock cooling: how far can I push it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, is it a b3 or g0 quad? This will have a large affect on how high you can overclock as the g0 both runs cooler and has a higher thermal threshold.
B3 isnt supposed to go over 61C and the g0 isnt supposed to go past 70C

Alright I've set the FSB to 320 like you said, I'm about to download orthos now and start benchmarking. I'm now using CoreTemp to monitor temperatures; does anyone know if this is 100% accurate? I remember reading somewhere that one of the programs was off by a few degrees or something.

By the way its a G0.

Edit - I've just started running orthos and already my CPU temps staying around 75* C. Should I dial it back?

coretemp is about as accurate as you are going to get. And yes 75 is way too hot. You will need to get a better heatsink or dial it down.

which coretemp are you using?
the beta was off for me.
And dont use orthos for testing a q6600...use prim95.
if you wanna use orthos, you gotta run 2 of them at the same time since it doesnt recognize quads.
First check your bios temps...it will show you the idle temps...of course!
then once you log onto windows...check core temp and then you can compare from there.

And yes..75 is TOOO HOT.
get a better heatsink..especially since the quads heat up more then dual cores.

Well I can't afford a better heat sink right now because I just bought this computer on Friday. I guess I'll just have ti turn it down to maybe 2.7 instead of 2.8.

Oh and I was using the stable version of CoreTemp, not the beta (version .95)

Okay this doesn't seem right. CoreTemp is reporting that my t-junction is at 100* C. what does that mean? Its also saying that my temps are in the low 50s for idle, meanwhile EasyTune5, the program that came with my mobo, is reporting temps in the high 30s. This doesn't make sense.

You are using the beta then...
Core Temp
click "Download: Core temp 0.95(official)"
thats the prob i had...the beta showed me realy HIGH temps and the T-junc was at 100...it should be at 85*.

This is the 3rd time im repeating my self.....check your bios dude...bios is the most accurate.
Compare your bios's temps(idle) with easytune(idle) and then you shud figure out the difference.

i think 35 idle temps are safe for the quads.
how are you monitoring your temps? and what cooler do you have on the cpu?

35idle is MORE then safe for quads.

Those quads push out alot of heat, especially the B3's. I wouldn't recommend overclocking with a stock heatsink, especially with a quad core.

Don't go past 65 under load. And if you do hit 65 under load, that better be after a good 45 minutes to an hour of running a stress test.

But remember, you're not very likely to have all 4 cores under 100% load for a long period at time, let alone at once. So if you hit a bit above 65 after stress testing for awhile, don't worry about it. Just keep it under 65 to play it safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom