Q6600 results thus far

Status
Not open for further replies.

heXTT

Baseband Member
Got all my stuff today and the build took about 2 hours. Everything fired right up pretty easily, had a little trouble with the SATA HD, but nothing a little BIOS check didn't fix.

I've been messing with settings, and I think I have a pretty stable 3.2ghz OC. I bumped voltage to 1.3, and ran Prime95 for about 5 hours and I've been playing a lot of Oblivion and COD4. Nothing bad yet ^_^

One thing: In CoreTemp it says my clock is 3204. In the BIOS it says 356x9. But in CPU-z it says 356x6. I assume this is a speedstep kinda thing as it jumps up to x9 when under a load. Is that alright, or should I try to disable it? It runs at about 50c under full load in 4 core prime95 tests. Not bad for a full tower with NO (0) fans. Just a tuniq 120 and well placed AS5 I guess.

If anyone knows how to disable the "speedstep" thing in the DS3R bios, lemme know. I disable the CIA2 (I think that's the name) thing, but it still underclocks when at idle.

Also, my RAM timings are 5-5-5-15, think I could push +.2 volts and do 4-4-4-12 with my CPU OC? Guess only way to tell is to try, but I couldn't find the ram timings in the BIOS. I read somewhere Ctrl+F gets you more settings, but do I need to hold it down WHILE I go into the tweaking section, or before? I couldn't get it to work..

Anyway, here's an idle and load screenshot.

i believe c1e is speedstep. Most people recommend turning it off but i never bother with it. Also, depending on what ram you are using the ds3 boards set memory to 1.8v which is usually the bare minimum of what ddr2 needs. ctrl-f1 opens up the extra options for memory.

I did +.2 on voltage, and changed to 4-4-4-12, but in CPU-Z on the memory tab its showing 5-7-7-20 and on the individual sticks tab its showing 5-5-5-15, but going back into the bios shows 4-4-4-12.

any ideas?

Sounds like the board is disabling your overclock settings. If it fails to post it will basically revert back to the 2nd bios chip which is all auto settings.

i believe c1e is speedstep.

No speedstep is EIST (enhanced intel speedstep technology)

C1E is enhanced halt state. Put simply, with an appropriate OS and motherboard BIOS to activate it, C1E drops the CPU's multiplier and voltage to lower levels when a HLT (halt) command is issued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom