Q6600 Overclock has become unstable over time

Status
Not open for further replies.
vid isn't the definite 'you can or can't oc that chip' number. It barely indicates anything. I've seen chips with 1.28 vids oc well and chips with 1.22 vids not be able to go above 2.6

Anyways, I still get random fails to post even though I can run 6 hours of prime95 and i ran 25 passes of intelburntest AND I ran over 5 hours of memtest86+ with no errors in any of them.

I can't figure out why I'm failing to POST or why it's crashing in games. Temps are well under control for the CPU and GPU. Is it possible the mobo is acting up?

vid is voltage ratins it has nothing to do with how far you can oc you are right but your vid does indicate what voltage you wil need depeding on your speeds. now all im sugesting is bump your voltage up to 1.36 or 1.38 check for stability in the intel burntest if its stable lower it until it becoems unstable then you will know your lowest stable voltage, so quit tryign to take short cuts and do it allready, im not the only one who has said youve under volted your q6600@ 3.4.

also at first you said you could run prime and it was locking u at your voltage and bumpign your voltage fixed it now your saying you can run it stable at the same settings???

vid is voltage ratins it has nothing to do with how far you can oc you are right but your vid does indicate what voltage you wil need depeding on your speeds. now all im sugesting is bump your voltage up to 1.36 or 1.38 check for stability in the intel burntest if its stable lower it until it becoems unstable then you will know your lowest stable voltage, so quit tryign to take short cuts and do it allready, im not the only one who has said youve under volted your q6600@ 3.4.

My problem is with failing to POST...occasionally.

It occurs only on reboots, not fresh boots.

Once I fresh boot, windows loads fine, games play great, and as I posted earlier I ran prime, intelburntest, and memtest86+ for extended time w/ no errors.

also at first you said you could run prime and it was locking u at your voltage and bumpign your voltage fixed it now your saying you can run it stable at the same settings???

yes, that was due to the ram afaik

I originally had it at 1066mhz and defaulted it to 800mhz.

1066mhz failed memtest86 within minutes

800mhz passed over 5 hours of memtest.

Actually VID does in fact make a difference in how far you can overclock a chip. the VID is the amount of voltage it takes to run the chip at stock settings as set by intel. So if you have a vid that is close to the max allowable, you arent goign to be about to overclock as far as someone who is close to the lowest possible settings. Example, my q6600 has a vid of 1.2, and is stable at 4ghz with 1.6v. I dare you to try to find another chip that can get stable at 4ghz with a higher VId.

veed is right man im .o1 higher and i can get it stable in that area where trtyign to give you tips and yoru arguing with us, and me and veed are preaty much oc champs with the q6600 chips ive got the highest stable clock for an air cooler on the forum at 3.7.

veed is right man im .o1 higher and i can get it stable in that area where trtyign to give you tips and yoru arguing with us, and me and veed are preaty much oc champs with the q6600 chips ive got the highest stable clock for an air cooler on the forum at 3.7.

I'm sorry for coming off that way.

I have tried higher voltage. I tried all the way up to 1.4v.

The problem is intermittent failures. For example I can run 3.4ghz at 1.29v for 8 hours of prime95. Then 2 days later I'll crash in a game and be unable to post until the "Overclocking has failed" dialogue is displayed. This same scenario has occured at 3.4ghz @ 1.4v and also at 2.4ghz (stock) at 1.3v. I'm trying to find what part of the PC is causing this. I'm thinking it may be the ram or the motherboard. This hasn't occured since I dropped the memory clock to default of 800mhz with 2.0v and 5-5-5-18 timings, very conservative. At this speed the ram passed 8 complete cycles of memtest86+ with is ~6hours.

Thanks for trying to help but the extra voltage isn't the answer. Besides, 1.4v on air is pretty rough. My tuniq has trouble keeping it below 80c with 3.4ghz @1.4v under intelburntest/prime95 stressing.

Again, sorry if I came off rude or ungrateful for your replies. :)

no problem man, maybe your nb is getting undervolted thats also a comon problem or your nb is failing which would suck. what mobo are you running?
edit stupid question. anyway umm what are your northbridge temps @ 3.4

self proclaimed oc champ? 3.7 on air is not impressive. Having a 1.2 VID doesn't mean you'll hit 4ghz. Good batches will do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom