Q6600 + Dp35dp

Status
Not open for further replies.

billenium

Baseband Member
i bought a Quad Core and an Intel board... i found out this is a bad idea if i want to overclock... my question is there any possible way i could overclock? Maybe even a little?

Also, another question is, does a Q6600 really need overclocking? I mean 4 cores! common!

1. No you can't overclock on an intel board, they lock the OC settings on the bios.

2. No you don't reallllllyyy need to overclock, but what fun are you if you have the ability to overclock and don't. lol.

No cpu "needs" overclocking. But is it a ton faster when OC'd?? Yes. I had mine at 3.6ghz, huge difference over stock. Personally I have to wait for my AS5 to cure to see if my cooler is good enough to keep that speed low on temp, so I have it set to 3.3ghz.

Overclocking is kinda like drag racing...does a car really need to be upgraded to run 10 seconds in a quarter mile? No. But it's a lot more fun if it does.

Unless the Intel board came from a pre-built, it shouldn't be locked.

Is there any way in finding out if my DP35DP can actually overclock? Id enjoy OCing it, but i don't really give a darn if i can't.

When I first built my rig I almost ordered an Intel board but the good folks here said that it wouldn't let me overclock. If it were my choice, I'd steer away from it. Even if it were possible to overclock on such a board, the components on the board are probably not OC friendly anyway.

And no, you don't NEED to OC a q6600. The processor itself is fully capable of running every game out there at stock speeds. And it would never bottleneck. You would be far more concerned with your video card in a gaming situation. But these processors are tanks and can OC like no other.

When I first built my rig I almost ordered an Intel board but the good folks here said that it wouldn't let me overclock. If it were my choice, I'd steer away from it. Even if it were possible to overclock on such a board, the components on the board are probably not OC friendly anyway.

And no, you don't NEED to OC a q6600. The processor itself is fully capable of running every game out there at stock speeds. And it would never bottleneck. You would be far more concerned with your video card in a gaming situation. But these processors are tanks and can OC like no other.

true, you can run any game on it and yes, you will want to focus your concerns on getting a top of the line gfx card, or top of the line for what you wanna do. if you wanna play heroes of might and magic 3 you don't need an 8800GT, so judge accordingly.

Is there any way in finding out if my DP35DP can actually overclock? Id enjoy OCing it, but i don't really give a darn if i can't.

yeah, when you get your build all set up, boot it up and whilst it's posting it should give you an option to go into the bios, do that and if there are options to overclock, ie increase fsb, multiplier, voltages, and you can change them, then yes you can overclock.

and trotter, from what i understand of them the intel boards don't allow overclocking, cheap/dumb but they do what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom