Q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you say the Big Typhoon could handle the heat from a Q6600 at 3.6Ghz? From the tests I've seen the Typhoon performs slightly behind the TRUE but not by very much.

Thanks.

my tuniq fits in my case very well, and it barely handles my q6600 at recomended temps, i go to like 75 in prime 95, but it never gets that hot when gaming, only like 58'c but i will still be lapping it which is somethign else you should consider.

Would you say the Big Typhoon could handle the heat from a Q6600 at 3.6Ghz? From the tests I've seen the Typhoon performs slightly behind the TRUE but not by very much.

Thanks.

If it's by a small margin, then yes, it should be adequate for an overclocked quad.

And not only that. Your ambient temperatures have an affect as well. If it's warm around the room, no matter how good the heatsink is, the temperatures will rise a little.

Get the Tuniq, imo. I love mine, and it fits in my Antec 900 nicely. I had to mod my side panel 120mm to close it, but it was no big deal. It keep my G0 Q6600 at around 38c idle and 72c at 100% load on all cores (which will never happen in a gaming environment)

If you get the DS3 board, be aware that it has a considerable amount of VDroop. The Vcore you set in the BIOS won't be actual. My BIOS is at 1.537, my idle vcore in CPUZ is 1.504, and 1.424 under full load.

Supposedly the ASUS P5k has less vdroop problems, I wouldn't know for sure. Do some research.

Hi heXTT

Is the vdroop going to be a considerable problem when overclocking? From what I've read vdroop seems to be quite common yet people like yourself still manage to get some decent OCs on their CPU (surely not all of them modify the board to stop the vdroop.)
Amd gt player - I don't really think I want to attempt lapping...It looks somewhat risky.
b1gapl - Can you mount any standard 120mm case fan to the TRUE?

Thanks for all your responses!

Amd gt player - I don't really think I want to attempt lapping...It looks somewhat risky.
!

it does look a litle risky but if you follow a guide there is no way to mess it up really, you get 300 grit paper 100 grit paper 1500 grit paper and 200 grit paper, you do about 40 passes of each, you clean it with rubbing alchohol and a microfiber cloth, or something of the srt, let it dry, slp it back in and you should be good to go, atleast im hoping its going to be that easy.

While it sounds like a good idea, I just don't really feel up to physically modifying the parts yet. If I'm running high temperature wise then I might try it but I'm just hoping a good cooling system will be enough, thanks for the idea though.

Zanjo said:

Yes you can. You can also mount a 140mm, believe it or not, with a little ingenuity of the pins that hold the fan. That's how mine worked out.

Just try to look for a case fan that has a good noise to airflow ratio.

Hi heXTT

Is the vdroop going to be a considerable problem when overclocking? From what I've read vdroop seems to be quite common yet people like yourself still manage to get some decent OCs on their CPU (surely not all of them modify the board to stop the vdroop.)

Thanks for all your responses!

While it is very annoying, it isn't a real problem. You just raise BIOS vCore until your actual core is satisfactory. The drop under load can make it difficult to reach 3.5+ without proper cooling, though. My Tuniq 120 does the job fine, maxing out all cores at around 72c, idling around 38c with a voltage of 1.5, 1.424 under load. That's with the BIOS Vcore set to 1.537. That gives you an idea of the amount of droop.

I've read the vdroop mod doesn't work at all on the P35 boards.

Hi heXTT

Just out of curiosity, what is the voltage limit on your motherboard? My current Gigabyte board has a low voltage limit (actually it set my CPU to the limit by default.)

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom