Q About CPU Stress and Lifetime with Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunjo

Daemon Poster
I know any overclock is going to cut CPU life a bit, but I'm wanting to know if this is more closely related to core voltage, peak temperature or thermal flux.

i.e., is increasing my core voltage above the manufacturer's recommended maximum of 1.35v going to significantly reduce the life and/or stability of my system? or will it still be OK as long as I keep it cool enough?

I want to maximize the performance of my system, but not at the cost of reliability. I have a 2.4GHz C2D E6600 in there right now running 3.2GHz with a core voltage of 1.352v. I'm Orthos testing it now to check stability, but it seems to be OK...

What I want to know is, is it safe to crank the voltage a bit higher to get another 200MHz out of the chip, or would that be an unnecessary risk?

It's been running Orthos for about 1/2 hour now and the CPU temp is at 43 C. It got as high as 45 or 46 last night at 1.337v before it crashed just past the 6-hour mark.

I wouldn't hesitate to put 1.45v on vcore, and I have done 1.5v before. 1.55v I think is the cut off point, so you still have a lot of headroom.

Don't worry about the lifespan. An average CPU has the life of 10 years. And I can't really remember someone who has kept and still use their CPU for that long. It will only shave off 1-2 years, but by then, you'll have another CPU.

this answered my question as well, i'll probably OC my soon to be e6750 to like 1.45 volts, dont really what the speed is on that

It doesn't really work that way. Some people can get higher speeds on lower voltages, than some people that get lower speed overclocks with higher voltages....but since you have the P35-DS3R, you can take that e6750, to the at least 3.6GHz, with a relatively low voltage on the vcore...and you have a great aftermarket HSF, to support that.

Here's a quick question I didn't see answered anywhere else yet... but what's the heat cutoff for an E6600? all the heat tables I saw didn't touch on the Intel core 2 line... what are good idle and load temps for it?

Good idle temperatures for C2Ds are 30-40C...and good load temperatures, make sure it's below 65C. Mine idles at 42, loads at 52.

oh, well I've got a lot of room then... mine currently idles at 22 and I've only seen it go as high as 45 on an Orthos load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom