Putting computer lights in my car??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Putting computer lights in my car???

My car is a small car and its hard to fit normal neon's in my car under the dash to light the floor and crap, i was wondering if i could buy the lights that you put in a computer case and put them in the car and have them hooked up the the lines running to my radio in it. Or would there be a problem with it considering there both differnt kinds of electricity.....

Old 05-01-2005, 11:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

use a cigarette adaptor to normal plug then use a hotwired psu and connect the lights to that

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 05-01-2005, 11:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I dont want people to see the connections, i was thinking about buying one of them converters but the connect right to the battery and the cables arent long enough, plus there extremly big.. And it is a small car, so i cant do much unless i do massive work inside the dash. 97 buick skylark
Old 05-01-2005, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

well just get a micro atx power supply and cut off all the wires you wont need and sleeve the power connectors your gonna use. with this much easier to cahnge or replace cathodes and you use the psu's own switch for on off. simpler

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2005, 11:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I have a feeling im going to be doing a LOT of work on my car the next few weeks....
Old 05-01-2005, 11:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

y?

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2005, 11:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Theres not much room in the dash to put stuff, so ill have to move several things around and possibly lose my glove compartment space....
Old 05-01-2005, 11:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

well your gonna have to sacrafice some things. plus you cant use the neons in some states. actually 46 states i beilieve and mine is one of them. they are considered to be distracting. anywho, just go to a truck stop and get a power converter 400watt i recomend and get a micro atx psu and plug it into the converter while plugging the converter into the lighter slot. it would be easier doing it that way to me casue im doing it now also if you do that then go ahead and get mathing neons for your trunk, engine, and outside of the car. just turn them on while your not in the road. I turn them on when i go to after dark school events (im presuming your still in school)

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Still in school and neons here are legial. They tryed banning them but so many people have them it would be to hard, its just were no longer allowed to have them flash if there red/blue/green/yellow/white lol And im going to try to buy a kit of neons for my engine if i dont have to get it replaced....
Old 05-01-2005, 11:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

regarding the illegality of lights I believe but not entirely sure, that that only applies to the neons that go on windshield wipers or on the underside of your car which I BELIEVE, again not 100% sure, that you can have a white light, but anything else is illegal

Closed Thread