PSU:Really Loud

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxdii

Baseband Member
My power supply unit is really loud, it just happened all of the sudden. One day I turned it on and it made this really loud buzzying noise. Does this mean I should go looking for a new one?

I find that the can air to clean out PSU works for a little while.
It's only a matter of time before they start to make noise again.

So you might want to look at replacing the PSU some time soon.

If canned air doesn't work, its your PSU fan, it needs re-oiling =)

Since you probably don't know what to do, and I really would not reccomend this unless you don't want to spend money and buy a new one; since the chance of electrocution by touching a capacitor is quite high.

Alright, this is what you do, I did this on my old generic PSU tonnes of times until I got my new computer (see sig ^_^) I don't think I'll need to be doing this at all. During this whole procedure exercise EXTREME caution!!!

Step 1. Remove the PSU covers
Step 2. Unscrew the PSU FAN(s) (whichever ones you think are making noise) [CAUTION DO NOT HIT TOUCH ANYTHING BUT THE FAN]
Step 3. Get some sewing machine oil, unpeel the sticker on the fan so you can see the little rotor thing, put 1-2 drops in there, no more, then put the sticker back
Step 4. Reattach the fan.

---
If done successfully, there should be no more whirr.

Like I said before, be extremely cautious.

okay, I will see how this canned air works for now but if the sound returns I will reoil until my new computer can be afforded.
It is also a Venice 3000+ 939 socket AMD 64bit architechture with the same motherboard. Wow how news travels on a forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom