PSU not running a computer, possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yesiamtom

Beta member
hi, in my computer i have some quite nice cooling imo, its not super fast but it keeps my comp at a nice temp. only problem is, my PSU which should run them doesnt and my computer seems to freeze and stop. ive taken a few of the fans out and it allows me to run better. It freezes when im playing games.

Is it possible for me to get a second PSU, and start it without the aid of a motherboard etc? so i can have the basic fans in my normal psu, processor etc. and the extra ones, intake, outtake etc on a second psu?

Thanks. Tom.

yes, you need to google for some info. all you have to do is short two of the pins to the mobo with a peice of wire, and then use the switch to turn it on and off.

here we go:

To start PSU without a motherboard connected.

Short PIN 14 (Power supply on) and any
GND PIN - (ground)

so.. i THINK that is and black, shorting with the GREY (or maybe green). i want a second opinion on that first though.

On the PSU that won't be connected have the green wire and a black ground beside it shorted out. Easy way is to cut the wires and attach them to a toggle switch and have the switch placed on the case some wheres to turn the PSU on and off.

Is it possible that your PSU isn't powerful enough to power all the fans plus everything else? Surely this could cause the freezes. I'd just get a more powerful PSU, maybe?

i was hoping my PSU would power them, but i dont really have enough money to spend 50 plus quid on a PSU, me and my bro had a look on some review sites and chose one that was a good price and should have had enough power to run the fans. but apparently it doesnt now :mad:

hmm, ill have a look for a 28 amp and 400 watt one, thanks for the suggestion

if you feel you are able to make them both run at the same time, i would just do that. not very practical if you move your computer around alot though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom