PSU Issues and Beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

preacherzson

Solid State Member
:help: I upgraded my sony vaio rz32g to 2 G PC3200 ram, and a PNY 6600 GT graphics card. Everything worked fine for a while.
Then one day, I go to start the computer up, and I get 2-3 quick beeps followed by 5 or 6 beeps, my monitor dialogue box reads no input; going to powersave mode, and the monitor shuts down. The computer is still hummin along, I can eject drives, all fans are going, etc. I conjecture to myself that I have just about maxed out my luck on running the system with a 300w PSU. So I went out and purchased an ANTEC Trueblue 480W PSU. Here's my question for y'all: how come the computer will work with
1. the old PSU, or
2. the new ANTEC PSU, BUT ONLY IF IT IS NOT IN THE CASE!!!

if I put the antec in the case, and hook all my wires up just like when I had the ANTEC outside of my case, I get 3 beeps followed by 6 beeps.
What gives? Why should in or outside of the case make a difference? :confused:
Also, what do the beeps mean?
And finally, the ANTEC is different from the stock PSU. The stock psu has no exterior power switch, unlike the ANTEC. When I use the antec in the case (well, half in the case- it doesn't quite fit into the case, and hangs out of the back 2 or 3 inches- the second I hit the PSU power switch, the computer starts to boot up adn then goes to the beeps. Why does the new PSU bypass the power button on the front of the computer? and could that be part of the problem.
The only other question I have is that I noticed that the stock PSU fan monitor wire has 3 strands (blue, white, black) while the ANTEC fan monitor lead has onl 2 strands (blue, black). Could this make the difference, and what do those wires do per se?

Make sure that the PSU connectors, especially the main one connecting to the motherboard are totally on. I've had problems with partial connectors where the PSU starts, the fans wir, the cd drives work, but nothing happens. Just like your situation in fact except no beeps.

beep saga continues

1. how does one clear CMOS/bios etc? and what does that do?

2. Continuing the beep saga, today it did it a bunch of times. hit the power strip, and the computer starts boot-up instead of waiting for me to hit the on button on the case. After a while, I notice that although the box was running, the num lock light on the keyboard wasn't on, so after wiggling the cord around down at the case, I shut down the power strip, unplugged the keyboard, powered back up, and voila- no beeps, got to xp user screen. I had to wiggle the plug around a little bit to get the keyboard to register (if I unplug my keyboard, the mouse won't move onscreen either...grrr...why?), but here I am online. So, what in my keyboard could be screwing up the computer's boot sequence?

3. In an unrelated question, why does my computer lose the ability to find the server after it revives from hibernating? Local connection indicator states all is well and cable modem checks out fine.
Thanks.

I think this is caused by improper electrical wiring in the house, you should go out and find an electrical tester that tells you if stuff is reversed, if your ground is OK.

DJ-CHRIS said:
I think this is caused by improper electrical wiring in the house, you should go out and find an electrical tester that tells you if stuff is reversed, if your ground is OK.

Is "...this..." the beep thing? I only ask to be clear, b/c the wiring in the apartment does indeed suck! No 3 prong plugs so I have adapters on everything...:umm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom