PSU/CPU fan noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldIndustries

Daemon Poster
I want to minimize the noise in my case. I know my 120mm case fan is pretty quiet, but I cannot isolate the noise of my CPU fan or PSU fan.

I could take the cover off my PSU, and unplug it's fan to see how loud my CPU fan is, but how would I go about having ONLY the PSU fan running?

I highly reccomend against opening your Power supply, not only could you kill yourself from the AMPs within it even if it is off and dissconnected. But you could also damage the internal Parts of the PSU if you do something wrong. Another thing is the fans in a PSU are ment to cool the PSU internal components powering you system, so discconnecting the fan would be a bad idea.

I can't really help you, I just wanted to point out that Opening a PSU is a really bad Idea.

Haha. Okay, thanks for the advice. I've already done this over a dozen times with other PSU's though. Must've got lucky...

I think I'm just going to buy a new heatsink and PSU anyway.

Ya, I should say youve gotten lucky, very lucky.

If you wanted a Power supply where you can adjust the Fan Speed, the One in my sig can and is a great power supply.

Thanks for the suggestion.

As for me opening up power supplies, I've been known for doing stupid things. Must be in my genes or something. I've been hit by a car twice. Had my head slammed between a car door. Drop-kicked off a fence. Fallen off a bicycle with no brakes going 40-clicks through a rocky trail. Et cetera. =)

WorldIndustries said:
I could take the cover off my PSU, and unplug it's fan to see how loud my CPU fan is, but how would I go about having ONLY the PSU fan running?
Ummmm..... you don't.

I have been electricuted by a PSU once a few year back at work. It's not fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom