PSU Cable Extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitersety

Daemon Poster
I'm going to be modding my Antec 900 soon for better cable management. Nothing major, I'm just going to be drilling a few holes. But I'm a little worried that some of my cables won't reach anymore when I route them behind the motherboard. The ones I'm concerned about are the audio and USB cables for my case and the CPU power cable. How would I extend them and what would I need to do it?

Also, I really need a rounded IDE cable for my DVD drive and an old IDE HDD I've got. I was thinking about this one Newegg.com - StarTech Round ATA 100/133 IDE Cable Model IDE100RND24 - Retail but I was wondering if anyone has a cable that looks really nice or that they recommend or anything like that.

Thanks for the help.

Ok, the cables that b1gapl linked you to should be good. With my setup, I only needed to extend the 8pin power connector to the motherboard. I went and photoshopped 2 pics of my build for you, to show where I routed my cables.... I saw that you are using a GA-P35-DS3R, and I have a GA-X38-DQ6. They appear to be layed out in a nearly identical fashion too (not sure about location of front panel audio connector on your though).

Anyways...... Here are 2 pics. First one is before mobo was installed, 2nd is after installation. Of the case cables, the ONLY ones I had trouble with were the power/reset/HDD LED cables... it is NOT long enough to be routed behind the mobo tray. This will be a rainy day project after the housework is done, lol.

Red - Location of the pin aux power cable is routed (the TRUE blocks the view when the mobo is in)
Blue - Location of the front audio cable is routed
Green - Location of where the USB/firewire cables are routed
Yellow - Location of where the 20/24 pin power cable is routed
Purple - Location of where all power cables are routed to the back of the mobo tray
Teal - Location of where the power/reset/LED cables were INTENDED to be routed, but they were too short
Cables1.jpg

Cables2.jpg

B1, thanks for the extensions you linked to, I think they are just what I need.

Ethereal_Dragon, thanks for the pics, you've given me a better idea of where to drill all the holes. I have another question for you. Do you think I should put protective lining around the edges of the holes that I cut like what you have, or will filing them down until they are dull suffice? Thanks.

I would imagine protective lining is better. But when you file them down, make sure it's rounded. Protective lining is more of a guarantee.

I would URGE you to get some kind of protection for the edges.... I got them as smooth as I could, but it was still enough to cut into the wires.... (tested it on old wires).

I used the smallest automotive vacuum tubing that I found at a hardware store.... $0.22 a foot, got 10 feet, and still have about 8 feet left over, lol.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll be making a trip to the local hardware store :)

edit - I just ordered the cables you suggested b1. Thanks again.

I have been thinking.... not sure how well it would work, but you might be able to try some aerator tubing for a fish tank (the clear plastic hose for the bubbles.....) It might be too thin though. The tubing I used is alot thicker than that fish tank tubing, and I went with the black vacuum hose, to match the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom