ps2 pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmatt

The Bulldog
ok so ive got an old broken play station 2 laying around, i got to thinking it would be pretty sweet if i could fit a pc into it. i can imagine the looks on the xbox fanboys faces when im playing halo on it ;)
so anyways any recomendations for motherboards? i considered miniitx but they are expensive, do you think i could cram an itx or a micro atx in one?

trouble with doing that is that you will need a pretty decent graphics card to make halo look good and matched up a good enough cpu, that via 1.3 isnt really good enough to game on. I think it would be possible but very very hard. maybes get a riser card, to mount the graphics card parrallel to the motherboard?

they do have socket 370 and 754 mobos, but they require fans, and the ps2 has limited space. is the via really that bad? i know its not a gaming cpu but halo only needs a 733mhz cpu and this one is 1.3ghz.

here is an intel board with intel itntegrated. ive gotten halo to run on that chipset before, its not that pretty but its decent.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813202001

BTW i dont need this thing to play any new games, it will mostly act as a backup machine, media box, ect. so im not expecting much although if it can play games comparable to halo thats a plus.

what would be the point of modding an xbox though? all it is is a 700mhz celeron with 64mb of ram, where is the fun in that? if it already is a pc then there is no point IMO. i have a broken ps2 and i wouldnt mind spending about $200 or $300 on making it into a pc.

BTW does anyone know the socket type of that intel board? newegg dosent say, it only says that its pentium M, but they come in different sockets.

true the xbox case is huge. unfortunately i dont have one laying around. meh maybe one day one will fall into my lap. i will measure the ps2 tonight.

i got an xbox, a matx mobo fits like a charm, dvd/hdd mounted to top, pci riser from an old apple for my geforce mx4000, exhaust fan on the left side, buttons/light on front=funtional, the 2 right ports are the xbox ports modded for usb, and the left 2 are usb. little cramped, but it worked(ps had to be gutted and hung from the top of the case...guess someting fell because it went into stanby, i went out back, came back, and it was on, but the power light was off, and the hdd light was flashing. i restarted it, and still...so here i am 2 months later, with a gutted xbox case on my desk. needs a mobo, and a ps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom