Prototype For a New Kind of CPU Watercooler? - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:31 AM   #21 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Prototype For a New Kind of CPU Watercooler?

it's a bad design, end of story. unless there is some interesting black magic going on inside that thing it's design breaks all the basic rules of effective heat transfer.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote from X-Bit Labs: Via X-bit Labs: "The Purdue University researchers, in work funded by Intel, have shown that the technology increased the "heat-transfer coefficient," which describes the cooling rate, by as much as 250 percent. Other experimental technologies that may be applied to cool down future chips promise only 40%-50% cooling efficiency improvement. When used in combination with a conventional fan, the experimental device enhanced the fan's effectiveness by increasing airflow to the surface of a mock computer chip. The new technology could help engineers design thinner laptop computers that run cooler than today's machines.

The experimental cooling device, which was fabricated on top of a mock computer chip, works by generating ions - or electrically charged atoms - using electrodes placed near one another. The device contained a positively charged wire, or anode, and negatively charged electrodes, called cathodes. The anode was positioned about 10 millimeters above the cathodes. When voltage was passed through the device, the negatively charged electrodes discharged electrons toward the positively charged anode. Along the way, the electrons collided with air molecules, producing positively charged ions, which were then attracted back toward the negatively charged electrodes, creating an "ionic wind." This breeze increased the airflow on the surface of the experimental chip." I want the ionic CPU cooler and I want it now!!!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
Camera junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestick View Post
it's a bad design, end of story. unless there is some interesting black magic going on inside that thing it's design breaks all the basic rules of effective heat transfer.
wel there is majic elves living inside those tubes, and they can breathe under water, and constantly open the fridge thats why this thing is going to worck so well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/poizen22/
intel Core I7 8700k@ 5.0ghz-Nvidia GTX1080 ti ftw3-Aorus 5 z370 mobo-16gb ddr4 G-Skill trident Z rgb 3000mhz - 1tb samsung 960 pro, 2tb wd blue- thermaltake rgb 750w gold-Phanteks pro M TG- Samsung CHG70 1440p 144hz 32 inch QLED.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:12 AM   #24 (permalink)
Lord Techie

well there you go i knew i had to allow for that possibility as i can't see it's internals.

Closed Thread