Prototype For a New Kind of CPU Watercooler? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Techie

Talking Re: Prototype For a New Kind of CPU Watercooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandercup View Post
maybe they should make the middle heat pipes curve into each other with added copper? rather then having plain tubing?
I agree the tubbing is lame. Maybe he should use liquid oxygen? But then the plastic would explode and the house would burn down.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: Prototype For a New Kind of CPU Watercooler?

Hello.... :tounge:
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubfreak View Post
Seems kind of counterproductive to keep running the already warmed water back through the cooler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
...It wouldn't be that big of a deal to split the incoming supply into four and run it straight through, and then merge back to one on the way to the radiator...
I was thinking the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoDirenzo View Post
No it's not. Your car radiator does exactly the same thing...
Not all car radiators have tubing which run in series. There are many car radiators with tubes which run in parallel with each other, from the inlet tank to the outlet tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoDirenzo View Post
...Huh? I'm not being contentious but yes it is....ambient air. As long as ambient air is less than that of the fluid temperature in any of the pipes there will be a heat exchange...
There are fundamental differences between a car radiator of a car cooling system and this 'CPU radiator'. Firstly, unlike a car radiator, there are no cooling fins on this 'CPU radiator' to transfer the heat to the air flowing through the radiator, and therefore secondly, unlike a car radiator, there is no cooling fan (or fans) to move the air through the 'CPU radiator' (as veedubfreak stated).

The purpose of the tubes in the 'CPU radiator' is to transfer heat from the core or heatspreader of the CPU to the fluid, and not the immediate surrounding air, which is what a car radiator does, or what the CPU cooler would have done originally before the fan was removed and the cooling fins were chopped off.

If you think of the 'CPU radiator' as just a radiator cooling the CPU by transferring heat to the immediate surrounding air, then it is a very poor one, since it's missing vital elements such as cooling fins and a fan. It's not a conventional heatpipe heatsink anymore.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 04-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
cuPWNED

Send a message via AIM to commandercup Send a message via MSN to commandercup

Alvin this is not a radiator, its a waterblock
Old 04-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

woah, alvin, you didn't start your post with, hello. haha. yeah it would make more sense to break it up into 2 radiators and do like a 1 2 1 2 system so it's evenly dispersed.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
woah, alvin, you didn't start your post with, hello. haha. yeah it would make more sense to break it up into 2 radiators and do like a 1 2 1 2 system so it's evenly dispersed.
Huh, theres no way the heat coming off that block could even come close to saturating a radiator.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 04-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Honestly, it is a good idea, but the best thing to do, is build it more like a mini heater core that would be in a car, have a few tubes similar, then on top have the fan, similar to the liquid filled heat sinks, but allowing the water to actually go to another fan and cool down even further... Meh, just an idea, btw, rubbers and plastics aren't a great heat conductor, so even a fan or the ambient air in the system wouldn't cool those enough to help.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandercup View Post
Alvin this is not a radiator, its a waterblock
Soz I'd not finished the post yet didn't want to risk losing the browser session. I know. Hence the ' ' .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
woah, alvin, you didn't start your post with, hello. haha...
Ammended :tounge: .

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 04-08-2008, 03:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to gurusan

What a stupid idea. For watercooling to be effective you need to eliminate laminar flow and make it as turbulent as possible to maximize heat transfer.

Also since the inside of the tubes are just smooth and flat there's not much surface area to transfer heat into the water. Tardacious.
|| 37" LCD TV || CM Hyper 212+ || Samsung 2.1 Soundbar ||
Old 04-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
cuPWNED

Send a message via AIM to commandercup Send a message via MSN to commandercup

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurusan View Post
What a stupid idea. For watercooling to be effective you need to eliminate laminar flow and make it as turbulent as possible to maximize heat transfer.

Also since the inside of the tubes are just smooth and flat there's not much surface area to transfer heat into the water. Tardacious.
the actual heatsink part might have some ridges and/or pathways
Old 04-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Yes, but what he's saying is that as long as the flow of water is uninterupted your not going to see great performance.

Water running along a smooth surface at high speed will not absorb as much heat as a slower more turbulent flow.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Closed Thread