Projekt Functionalitic - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
cuPWNED

Send a message via AIM to commandercup Send a message via MSN to commandercup
Default Projekt Functionalitic

I really started an actual mod this time around and have started a site to foster a place for all my mods to grow from. bjkdesign.com

For full size (2056 x 1536) pictures, please visit the photo gallery located at bjkdesign.com

This project is all about functionality and being able to get the best usage out of an amazing stock case; the Lian-Li PC-7B Plus

I'll start by posting my current working area in my basement.

I first started by fully taping the left side panel of the case to create a basic window on it.

This picture shows a sheet of cast acrylic to demonstrate positioning of the window.

After using a square ruler and freehand to sketch the window placing, I then cut it out.

Then I sketched out an area to be cut off from the 12" by 8" sheet of blue cast acrylic from FrozenCPU.com so that it would fit correctly against the side panel's latching mechanism.

Now you can see that the cut acrylic lines up correctly with the panel and covers up all areas of the hole.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
cuPWNED

Default Re: Projekt Functionalitic

Here's a picture of the beautiful blue cast acrylic exposed from its protective paper backing.

This is the cut side panel with all masking tape removed to be lined with u-channel.

Now here is the panel with the u-channel molding from mnpctech.com applied.

The bare acrylic is placed next to the window hole.

And finally the window is mounted with 3M #4010 Mounting Tape.

After the window was complete, I decided to cut out a ventilation area on the back panel of the case for increased exhaust airflow.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
cuPWNED

Afterwards, I decided to cut out the useless support bars in the front intake grill of the case to improve airflow.

Cut and then filed.

I then decided to cut out some exhaust areas on the back of the motherboard tray in key areas of heat. There is one open area where the expansion cards are placed and one open area where the CPU is placed inside the case.

After having those exhaust areas completed with filing and sanding, I made some changes to the arrangement of the case by using the stock hard drive rack and placing it in the 5.25" drive bay area.

I drilled holes onto the bottom of the 5.25" drive bay area and on the hard drive rack to securely mount it. I then cut out a back panel area on the 5.25" drive bay rack so that I can mount hard drives onto the rack easily. I still have access to the top 5.25" bay so that I can install an optical drive.

I also placed the hard drive rack in about an inch so that I can mount a fan in the space between the rack and the bezel for hard drive cooling.

The next step in the project is to flatten some raised metal pieces inside the bottom of the case so that the case can be lined with sound absorbing foam.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Fix your u-channel by moving the place where the two ends meet to a flat edge instead of a corner.

They will line up much better and will look much more professional.

Aside from that, not bad. Acrylic isn't as blue as I thought it would be...

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 04-15-2008, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
cuPWNED

I think its because of the light, as you can see its propped up against that desk lamp and thus causes it to become much clearer then it actually is

I have some UV Blue A.C. Ryan stuff and that is clear unless you shine UV on it... didn't work for me and it wasn't cast acrylic so it flopped

Yeah, I'll fix the u-channel, I was trying to rush through just to do something heh
Old 04-15-2008, 11:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke

looks good....much better the n mine...hehe
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 04-15-2008, 11:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
cuPWNED

Lol thanks, but I've also probably spent hours longer then you have 0_0, I'm sure you could 1 up me if you tried...

Anyways, any recommendations on what I should do next?

As mentioned, I'll be placing sound absorbing foam everywhere... and I'll be mounting 1 or 2 (if 2 fits) 120mm fans in the front between the hard drive rack and the bezel. I'll also be fitting black modder's mesh in front of the fans and in the bezel. There will also be modders mesh mounted to that ventilation hole in the back of the case and the exhaust holes behind the motherboard.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to SirCyber

looking nice *as I sit here and wonder at doing some mods to my xclio windtunnel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak213
Knowledge is power. Power is nothing if it is not shared.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
I feel funny...

Send a message via AIM to thirdshiftdj

looking good commander
Old 04-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
cuPWNED

good news! I think the person who took my case returned it?

I found it on my doorstep a day late (UPS tracking info still says delivered the day before)

However... the tape on one end was opened (just one end of the side of the box, no it wasn't actually opened, I guess it just ripped)

Also, the left side panel is nowhere to be found and some of the screws inside the case are rusted (the ones built into the panel)

The case also seems to be an older model because it ships in a relatively plain brown cardboard box and it lacks the slide down front bezel connection panel... although it has 2 extra connections...

I'll be posting that worklog exclusively on TMN, but I'll continue work on here.