Projekt Functionalitic

Status
Not open for further replies.

commandercup

cuPWNED
I really started an actual mod this time around and have started a site to foster a place for all my mods to grow from. bjkdesign.com

For full size (2056 x 1536) pictures, please visit the photo gallery located at bjkdesign.com

This project is all about functionality and being able to get the best usage out of an amazing stock case; the Lian-Li PC-7B Plus

I'll start by posting my current working area in my basement.

normal_DSC00830.jpg

normal_DSC00831.jpg

I first started by fully taping the left side panel of the case to create a basic window on it.

normal_DSC00832.jpg

This picture shows a sheet of cast acrylic to demonstrate positioning of the window.

normal_DSC00833.jpg

After using a square ruler and freehand to sketch the window placing, I then cut it out.

normal_DSC00859.jpg

Then I sketched out an area to be cut off from the 12" by 8" sheet of blue cast acrylic from FrozenCPU.com so that it would fit correctly against the side panel's latching mechanism.

normal_DSC00864.jpg

Now you can see that the cut acrylic lines up correctly with the panel and covers up all areas of the hole.

normal_DSC00865.jpg

normal_DSC00866.jpg

Here's a picture of the beautiful blue cast acrylic exposed from its protective paper backing.

normal_DSC00867.jpg

This is the cut side panel with all masking tape removed to be lined with u-channel.

normal_DSC00868.jpg

normal_DSC00869.jpg

Now here is the panel with the u-channel molding from mnpctech.com applied.

normal_DSC00870.jpg

The bare acrylic is placed next to the window hole.

normal_DSC00871.jpg

And finally the window is mounted with 3M #4010 Mounting Tape.

normal_DSC00872.jpg

After the window was complete, I decided to cut out a ventilation area on the back panel of the case for increased exhaust airflow.

normal_DSC00857.jpg

normal_DSC00858.jpg

Afterwards, I decided to cut out the useless support bars in the front intake grill of the case to improve airflow.

normal_DSC00834.jpg

Cut and then filed.

normal_DSC00835.jpg

normal_DSC00836.jpg

I then decided to cut out some exhaust areas on the back of the motherboard tray in key areas of heat. There is one open area where the expansion cards are placed and one open area where the CPU is placed inside the case.

normal_DSC00875.jpg

normal_DSC00877.jpg

After having those exhaust areas completed with filing and sanding, I made some changes to the arrangement of the case by using the stock hard drive rack and placing it in the 5.25" drive bay area.

normal_DSC00878.jpg

I drilled holes onto the bottom of the 5.25" drive bay area and on the hard drive rack to securely mount it. I then cut out a back panel area on the 5.25" drive bay rack so that I can mount hard drives onto the rack easily. I still have access to the top 5.25" bay so that I can install an optical drive.

I also placed the hard drive rack in about an inch so that I can mount a fan in the space between the rack and the bezel for hard drive cooling.

normal_DSC00874.jpg

The next step in the project is to flatten some raised metal pieces inside the bottom of the case so that the case can be lined with sound absorbing foam.

normal_DSC00876.jpg

Fix your u-channel by moving the place where the two ends meet to a flat edge instead of a corner.

They will line up much better and will look much more professional.

Aside from that, not bad. Acrylic isn't as blue as I thought it would be...

I think its because of the light, as you can see its propped up against that desk lamp and thus causes it to become much clearer then it actually is

I have some UV Blue A.C. Ryan stuff and that is clear unless you shine UV on it... didn't work for me and it wasn't cast acrylic so it flopped

Yeah, I'll fix the u-channel, I was trying to rush through just to do something heh

Lol thanks, but I've also probably spent hours longer then you have 0_0, I'm sure you could 1 up me if you tried...

Anyways, any recommendations on what I should do next?

As mentioned, I'll be placing sound absorbing foam everywhere... and I'll be mounting 1 or 2 (if 2 fits) 120mm fans in the front between the hard drive rack and the bezel. I'll also be fitting black modder's mesh in front of the fans and in the bezel. There will also be modders mesh mounted to that ventilation hole in the back of the case and the exhaust holes behind the motherboard.

good news! I think the person who took my case returned it?

I found it on my doorstep a day late (UPS tracking info still says delivered the day before)

However... the tape on one end was opened (just one end of the side of the box, no it wasn't actually opened, I guess it just ripped)

Also, the left side panel is nowhere to be found and some of the screws inside the case are rusted (the ones built into the panel)

The case also seems to be an older model because it ships in a relatively plain brown cardboard box and it lacks the slide down front bezel connection panel... although it has 2 extra connections...

I'll be posting that worklog exclusively on TMN, but I'll continue work on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom