Project: Portable mini-usb harddrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Efta^

Beta member
Hello, im not sure if this is the correct forum for this, if it is, then please refer me to one which is.
So, i've pulled a harddrive of an old media player (archos 5) since it didnt work and... well, i was bored. I was wondering if i could put it to use somehow? Perhaps make it into a portable harddrive or something to use with my phone (mini-usb)?

It is a 60gb (mechanical, by the looks of it) harddrive. It's 7 cm long, 5cm wide and a bit under 0.5 high. There is a floppy plastic 12pin connector going out and it is covered to half with what seems to be copper foil.

Is this project possible? I have basicly no experience whatsoever, although im a smart boy with good googling skills and i hope i'll have help from friendly forum peeps. Pictures will be added if it sounds manageable.
If yes, what equipment and parts would i need, and what results can i expect?

Thanks for your time.

Just by doing some quick googling it looks like the HD has a firmware lock on it and can't be used outside of the player. Again this is through googling so there may be a way to use it. I'll let an expert give you a definite answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom