[Project Log] Haf XB Codenamed "Harley"

I had my doubts, but now I think this is going to be super.

thanks man, ya i still have my doubts, this is be far the biggest mod job ive done, but I am taking my time this time around.

small update:

bought some goodies at the auto shop today, not sure if they will be used or where, but its nice to have options:

pretty sure I will use these letters above, got to decide where they will look best once shell is completed.

if i use these vents above, I need to work on them first, cut out the inside so they would be actual working vents.

other update with painting and nut cover:

front panel mounted after clear coat applied and dried

side view

teaser of how finished look will be

nothing is mounted yet in the above, and still deciding on whether or not to paint those grills

nut cover mounting

never mind the void you see, you will not be able to see that from the outside of the case, if needed, I will fill the void and refinish it afterwards.

will update more as things progress.

currently watching pain dry on motherboard tray and PSU mount bracket, as well as the 120mm fan and the expansion slot covers.

mounted the expansion bay covers, they look sweet. orange may be a odd color, but it sure does play nice with black.

inside
o2_zps5498196e.jpg

outside
o1_zpsca57fc20.jpg

you can see the fan I painted in the back 120mm rear slot, I dont like it,...
o3_zps75c4d830.jpg

so I ordered a 120mm version of what my front two intake fans are
o55_zps2687f516.jpg

at least I know those look good.

anyhoot, will update when I can, enjoy!

-----------------

edit for small update:

psu cover done:

psu2_zps5fcf21bb.jpg

psu1_zpsa6890f1a.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see the problem with the original one besides not matching the 2 front ones.

yup, thats just it, I thought at first I would like the original as orange, but once I mounted the finished fan, I realized that a matching fan would look better.

anyways, I have an extra 120mm orange fan now, I may use it on the AIO cooler once I get one, depending on how the fan mounts.

If you are gonna mod a case, why not at least have all the fans matching. xD I rather like the way this is going, but I really hope you tested those fans for balance issues with those nut covers...

Last update for tonight:

Mounted finished motherboard tray:
mobo3_zpsffbd7174.jpg

I am happy with these results
mobo1_zps446a4616.jpg

sorry for the light, its making the color look off.
mobo2_zpsd87c66b2.jpg

so while I was at the hardware store today picking up some bolts, I checked out the plumbing section because my 3"OD pipes still have not came and I only have 1 day left before I ship out for another 2 weeks.

I saw 2 of these:
pip1_zps03e1009e.jpg

they are much smaller than what I have in the mail,
pip2_zps2358e640.jpg

but they look really nice. the problem is, with their smaller size,
pip3_zps9acead65.jpg

I am not sure that one on each side would be enough.
pip4_zps546951be.jpg

those would be much easier to mount than the 3"OD 18" long aluminum pipes, problem is, I will need 2 more and I bought the last two from that hardware store, I would have to find 2 more tomorrow.
(if my brushed aluminum sheet comes in, otherwise, I will have to wait till next home stretch to continue on these.

edit: just checked my local lowes, they have 2 of these in stock
I will come up with something else for the 3"OD pipes, I like the double exhaust look.

next up for tomorrow:
cutting out the side vents
next_zps48f7f37d.jpg

Last edited:
Wow this looks so awesome!!!

The only thing I would change if I was doing it would be to leave the things (pointy thingys that I don't know the name of) on the fan the chrome color they came in but the orange looks ok.

Can't wait to see the final result!

If you are doing exhaust tips, consider making them look like the real deal... As in, maybe a slanted exhaust tip, and figure out a way to add black suet like paint on the inside and just around the edge of the tip... Otherwise it looks kinda o.0.

I could hold an open flame to the ends of the pipes and get some real black suet, though that may be risky with the outside finish.

Not sure if I want to slant these, only because of how short they already are.
If they were a couple inches longer, slanted would be ideal, I just feel slanting them would leave them "looking" too short. But I will put more thought into that idea, as it was an idea I had with the orginal piping that has not shown up at my doorstep yet, that was 18" long and had to be cut anyways.

-------------------------

A small update for today, much to small for my liking.

I drove over to Lowes to pick up 2 more of those pipes, got back home and began working.
fin1_zpscd9a249b.jpg

I got the first side panel cut out like I needed it
fin2_zps1f23590d.jpg

these cuts didnt have to be perfect cause both side panels will be covered up by the brushed aluminum, but the cuts on that aluminum will need to be perfect, thankfully that aluminum is really thin.
fin3_zps7d6469ac.jpg

Then I started cutting out my 1 1/2" holes for the pipes, and this is where I ran into trouble.

I didnt have a metal cutting hole saw, my so called "all purpose" hole saw bits were doing just fine for me up until today, it cut through my antec case just fine, the decent depth diamond plate, but this case ate it up, so I tried a 2nd bit, it ate it up again...

Boy this steel is hard as nails, so I drove on back to Lowes and bought a proper bit, well almost I guess. I got a bi-metal bit that was suppose to be good enough to cut steel.

So when I got back home, I was able to finish the first hole in seconds, I got the 2nd hole no problems. It was time for the next panel. No go...this bit was toast after attempting the first hole.
So by this time it was too late to make a 3rd trip to Lowes (the closest HW store open today)

But I do have pics of how the pipes fit in my one finished panel (finished as far as cutting and drilling goes)
fin4_zps257795fa.jpg

fin5_zps6c293231.jpg

I ship out for another 2 weeks tonight, so I cant update until I get back and get some more work to do, by then, everything should have came, including:

*Top Panel Laser Engraved CM/HD Logo Clear Acrylic
*2'x4' Brushed Aluminum sheet
*120mm matching COUGAR fan
*extra acrylic (amber and clear) pieces
*orange thumb screws (case screws)
*Amber LED Lazer Light (to shine down the seem of the top panel glass to light up the logo)
*everything else I may have forgotten about

Things left to do:

*2nd side panel, cut out both pipe holes and "window" slot
*cut the brushed aluminum to size for both sides and the top panel
*give the sides and top panel its finish (whether it be painting, or leaving it be, I am undecided)
*finish mounting all panels (no drill holes have been drilled yet)
*test out those fans with the nut covers on them, see if they will be ok, fix what needs fixing
*everything else I had forgotten about

****put a machine inside of it :D (comes later)

Enjoy for now, see you next time!

Back
Top Bottom