[Project Log] Haf XB Codenamed "Harley"

tastegw

Inspired by Art
Case Chassis: Cooler Master HAF XB
Case Theme: Harley Davidson

HDCMsm_zpsfb611138.png

So I finally got back home and found some packages waiting to be unboxed

boxes_zps24ebe6d7.jpg

Sadly, not everything came yet, but I did get some goodies.
unboxed_zps16f9284c.jpg

1x Cooler Master HAF XB case
2x Overkill Grills from MNPC
3x 140mm COUGAR Vortex Silent fans (orange)
2x 80mm Cooler Master standard fans
2x 80mm Link Depot standard fans
10x Inferno Nut Covers
1x 2'x2' Black Aluminum Diamond Plate

Items purchased today:

some new dremel bits
self etching primer
orange glossy
clear coat
various glue/tape/tools and stuff

Still awaiting:

2'x4' Brushed aluminum slab
2x 18"L 3"OD exhaust pipes
1x Transparent Amber Acrylic (enough for both sides)
1x Transparent Clear Acrylic (spare for top)
1x Laser Etched Clear Acrylic /w logo at top of post
1x Decal pack

edit: forgot to mention what the specs will look like after hardware is purchased (though nothing is set in stone just yet)

LGA 2011 Platform X79
Intel Core i-7 3820 (to be replaced with 22nm 6 core in Q3
Undecided on motherboard, but i really wanted a Gigabyte GA-X79-UD7 board (its got orange on it lol)
Zotac 660ti (to be replaced by 780's dual or tri sli Q2)
AIO cpu cooler (all in one)
Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1300w PSU
16/32GB quad chan kit, undecided on details
Western Digital WD VelociRaptor 1TB HD

Last edited:
Unboxing the case was a treat, this little thing had some real weight to it.

The panels are fairly thick and overall quality is very good.]
tpanel_zpscf792b6f.jpg

sidepanel_zps4e67c704.jpg

fpanel_zps8354727e.jpg

I wanted to start by removing the front panel mesh, to my surprising the mesh that I had read was non removable was actually removable

fpmesh_zpse93ec5d1.jpg

fpmesh3_zpsd5739d06.jpg

even the filter was removable
fpmesh4_zpsdf901207.jpg

this was all easier than getting the front panel off the case on its on. Next step was to remove the plastic grid from the front panel, and I got delayed, so that will wait until tomorrow, but I did get 2 of 2 nut covers reduced in length and ready for sanding before calling it a day today.
nutcut_zpsdfa38001.jpg

so to tease you with what these are for, here is a mock up using the actual items:
grill4_zps5900e9ed.jpg

grill3_zps1d50a34d.jpg

grill1_zpscd99b49e.jpg

will have more ready for you hopefully tomorrow.

Last edited:
Before I continue, I wanted to show detailed images of these COUGAR fans, they seem to be of really good quality, though, I have not tested them out just yet.

boxed
fan_zpsd912175c.jpg

front
fan1_zps7dfaa70d.jpg

rear
fan2_zps80dc2bf3.jpg

fantop_zps111ca60f.jpg

sleeving
fansleeve_zps0eea6d02.jpg

accessories (screws / 3 pin to molex / toolless push pins)
fanacc_zps0fa43092.jpg

side by side with the basic cooler master fans that came with case (120mm)
fancom_zps1ba455d6.jpg

enjoy.

I began some cutting today on the top panel.

Tools used:

Standard Corded Dremel
EZ Lock 456 Metal cutting blades
number 438 sanding bits

bits1_zps6c38af4d.jpg

bits2_zps8952d65a.jpg

first thing to do was to mask the sections that needed cutting, I cut from the inside today for 2 reasons: 1) the outside will not even be seen once mod is finished , 2) it was easier lol with the way the panel was set up.

cutting1_zpsb7a7fa17.jpg

once I had my lines drawn with a 90, I began to cut (my dremel skills are not very good, but i do my best)
cutting2_zpsac5e54bd.jpg

cut completed after about an hour and a half
cutting3_zpsfc35d034.jpg

this case has the thickest panels I have ever cut before
cutting5_zps22da3742.jpg

next step was to sand the edges so its smooth and safe to work around, no pics of that sorry. but I did use both the dremel and manual sanding methods.

part 2 of the work was to continue with the nut covers, I had cut them last night, but they needed some sanding.
nc1_zpsc217cec5.jpg

nc3_zps8d441c56.jpg

one is not finished, the other is, can you tell?

nc2_zps16cc76db.jpg

different angle

thats it for now, will update later tonight or tomorrow with more work done, next thing to do is start on the front panel grid, that has to go!

What RPM setting did you have the Dremel on? Every time I try to cut with a Dremel I wind up messing something up or it doesn't work right because my settings are off.

max speed, reason is I used to use a cordless dremel in my previous mods, and its power was so bad, slower = more bits used up in my experience.

I didnt even use but a fraction of the bit I used today on max setting, and I bought 10...
you can actually see the one i used in the top tip sitting on top of a unused one.

Yea I had a corded as well. I was going to get a wireless but my friend always had issues with it like you said with power. Guess I'll get another one that is corded so I can finally finish my Scorpio.

Front Panel work:

unsure on what the tool was called that was used to cut this, but it did a pretty good job. it did need some heavy sanding afterwards.

before:

after (front)

back

trash left over

mounted back to the empty case (still not finished yet)

more images of my vision (note that the grills will not be mounted as the photo shows, they will be turned 45 degrees once the diamond plate has been cut and mounted)

I was really happy with the new height of the nut covers

next job is to cut the diamond plate to proper sizing, and get some nice round holes in it.

I also need a light sanding done on the front panel, then prime it and paint it harley orange (not officially harley orange, but as close as i can get) and then clear coat it.
as you can see from the above photos, I may need to putty up some "opps" on the front panel near the right edge and another spot, not sure how ima do that just yet.

enjoy for now, will update prolly tomorrow with more

Small Update for tonight:

Masking and measuring the diamond plate for cutting tomorrow:

t1-1_zps434c7764.jpg

t2-1_zps41016a39.jpg

t3_zps18e27706.jpg

I over thunk that one,......when I was trying to figure out what half of the width was.....I was using the height's figure and kept wondering why the math didnt seem right lol.

anyhoot, I messed around with the diamond plate, and I will have more left than I would have used, so I tried to see what it would look like on the top instead of brushed aluminum:

t4_zps816657c4.jpg

the picture really doesnt do it justice, it looked very nice, I am contemplating whether or not to do both the top and the side panels with the diamond plate also, if i do, ill need to order more of it.

one thing holds true, I cant paint a pattern or strait lines on the diamond plate, so if i go with diamond plate on the rest of the case, its prolly going to stay unpainted, except for clear coats, but then again, I dont think I had any plans to paint the brushed aluminum either, I went away with that idea,.

Hi, so I got back at it this morning, some cutting and some accessory painting.

This is where I left off last night:
cut1_zps0a869774.jpg

Now some cutting was ready to be had
cut2_zps77a6eb21.jpg

was able to get a pretty solid line today, I was pleased with the results
cut3_zpsda3debc8.jpg

as you can see, it fits pretty snug in there
cut5_zps79697a0d.jpg

another shot
cut4_zpsd98ef235.jpg

after some sanding, it will need some touch up black on those edges.

now for the holes
cut6_zps13bbbbab.jpg

cut7_zpsc43b96d9.jpg

I also cut to size a top panel to see if I like it instead of brushed aluminum (which hasnt came yet :( )
mock2_zps6ad50e01.jpg

this one still needs some work around the edges, either my case isnt strait, or they sent me a bad cut, cause their 90 doesnt match up with the cases 90, my cut was 90 on the other sides.
mock1_zpsb0c27e95.jpg

some painting and priming:
front panel prime
painfp1_zps73107442.jpg

front panel orange (clear coat not shown in this pic)
painfp2_zps78dd4609.jpg

pain1_zpsb67328b3.jpg

paint1_zpsaf8516aa.jpg

paint2_zpsa9161e9b.jpg

pain2_zpsf9a3a66c.jpg

these look really nice in the case
pain3_zpsbe4ce9f2.jpg

thats it for now, im watching paint dry as we speak, tonight I will try and get the nut covers mounted on the fans, a painful task thats going to be.

enjoy

Back
Top Bottom