Processor Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
i will sell you 512 mb of memory for $25 not including shipping and i only accept paypal pm me if you are interested.

btw paypal is very easy to set up

or i will do you one better click on the link below in my sig i am selling a mobo cpu and ram for $50 not including shipping. the cpu runs at 1.34 ghz but if you want to push it like i do it goes to 1.58ghz stable 1.6 it will crash after a few hours but well its a very cheap upgrade for you and i need to get rid of extra parts.

Some of them ship to Canada, but I've never delt with customs so it might be worth it to get it from a canadian vendor. Its a shame I had a k6-3 450 in an old server, but my brother trashed it when I left for 6 months. I would have just given it to you, as it lost its usefullness and its harddrives long ago, and was just sitting in my closet.

Ohh I forgot to mention, that harddrive saying it needed a 500mhz cpu is bs, it doesn't need it. If its external it would...should use usb, or firewire. I doubt you have firewire, but probably usb. If your going to add an internal HD then your probably looking at a P-ata interface(its long and skinny) its also listed as ata, ide, eide. You shouldn't have S-ata, as thats a newer interface, and scsi is more on the server side of things.

You can get an external enclosure, and buy then put a harddrive in it. That system is old enough to put it in the danger of the 32 gig limit (think its 32) If so any harddriver bigger then 32 gigs won't be recognized if its on the internal ide controler(hooked up to the motherboard as internal), some hd's come with a jumper to limit it just under that limit. I don't think the usb controler would have that problem, and thats what most external enclosures/external harddrives use, even though it would be slower.

PS don't get a f'ing maxtor

yeah i have 2 non high speed USB ports, i kno i can run the external HDD only thing is it would slow down my computer alot, but if i go exteral i can only find like 100 GIG HDD in the stores

Na its not gonna slow down your computer that much, I doubt you'll notice it, and if your only using it for storage then you could turn it off when you don't need it...

What I was trying to get across was you could get a external exclosure like
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Subcategory.asp?N=2010090092&SubCategory=92
one of those

Then stick a regular internal harddrive like
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148013
inside the enclosure. All said and done its a hair bit cheaper then getting a external harddrive. I'm guessing non-highspeed usb means usb 1.0/1.1 spec? If so transfering large files would be a big pain, as it would be ..... well slllllloooooooowww.

Sooo yet a 3rd or 4rth option now you can buy a IDE or Sata controler card....
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=410
That would allow you to plug in an internal harddrive(of similar interface), and would be inside your computer. This would also be able to support past all the size limits that would pose a problem at this time.

They sell this stuff everywhere, I'm just listing examples, and giving you some options.

for my usb port it might even be a usb 2.0 cuz on my uncles toshiba satelite labtop, he has like 7 usb ports on it and when he plugs his ipod into certain ones it says non high speed devive plugged into a non high speed usb, it gives me the same message when i plug it into mine. but transfering the files woudnt be that slow like it does it find and quick with my ipod

Sui said:
Na its not gonna slow down your computer that much, I doubt you'll notice it, and if your only using it for storage then you could turn it off when you don't need it...

What I was trying to get across was you could get a external exclosure like
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Subcategory.asp?N=2010090092&SubCategory=92
one of those

Then stick a regular internal harddrive like
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148013
inside the enclosure. All said and done its a hair bit cheaper then getting a external harddrive. I'm guessing non-highspeed usb means usb 1.0/1.1 spec? If so transfering large files would be a big pain, as it would be ..... well slllllloooooooowww.

Sooo yet a 3rd or 4rth option now you can buy a IDE or Sata controler card....
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=410
That would allow you to plug in an internal harddrive(of similar interface), and would be inside your computer. This would also be able to support past all the size limits that would pose a problem at this time.

They sell this stuff everywhere, I'm just listing examples, and giving you some options.

well with Ipod your dealing with files all under 10 MB, with a max of a couple gigs....

older spec usb tops out at around 1.5 MBps, so thats around 5-7 seconds for a good size music file. Thats not terrible unless your talking transfering a gig, which puts it in 10-15 minite range. For the 2.0 highspeed spec (60MBps)those figures are 2 songs per second, and around 20 seconds for a gig. Granted its not actually going to hit those rates, but you can understand the difference.

I wouldn't think you have usb 2.0, as I have a p3 laptop that does not. Found this if you want to check

'You can identify whether your PC has Hi-Speed USB or not relatively easy. Open Device Manager and expand the Universal Serial Bus section. There should be an "Enhanced" USB host controller present.'

umm usb 1 is 11mbs not 1.5mbs. and usb 2 is anywhere from 100 t0 480mbs i have seen it advertised both ways and in bettween those.

i would not spend the cash to upgrade your computer. instead you should save up for a new one.

Uhm, those 12 480 speeds are in Mb(Megabits) per second, I listed the speeds in MB(Megabytes) per second so he could understand what type of speeds for how big of a file. Always look at the b before jumping. Low speed would be a little under 190 KBps, or 1.5 Mbps. For those who don't know harddrive's and the interface specs for harddrives are usually listed as MB, and MBps.

12Mb / 8 = 1.5 MBps
480Mb / 8 = 60 MBps

Those specs are just that specs I'd be supprized to see people hit 40 MBps of transfer on a USB 2.0 bus, 30 MBps would probably be realistic achivable number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom