Processor Overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaser226

Solid State Member
Hi I've been having trouble with my processor. I searched the net and found this forum, I hope you guys could give me a hand.

Well basically my processor is 'overheating', and it only occurs when i'm playing my new game final fantasy xi.
I recently formated my computer and reinstalled ffxi, but when i started playing again intel active monitor would alert me that my processor is overheating at about 70 degrees celcius. Now this never happened before I formated my hard drive so I find this very wierd. What could be causing this and is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thank you.

Processor: Genuine Intel Pentium 4 Processor 1.40 GHz
RAM: 384 rambus

Regular tempuratures:

Processor zone: 42*C
System zone 1: 34*C
System zone 2: 40*C

Alright

First of all, welcome to tech-forums.

With your question, I doubt your formatting of your hard drive could have caused this problem.

Do you have a fan based heatsink on your processor? Check to see if its running if you do.

Are all your case fans running properly?

Are you overclocking your processor?

Do you remember doing anything else before or after you formatted your computer to it?

My current analysis of the situation states that your Processor heat sink is either defective or not rated for your processor and may need to be upgraded, don't take immediate action until myself or another can accuratly diagnose your problem.

I think I only have one fan; the one thats right on top of my processor right now. And it is running. I don't think I have a case fan. I was thinking about overclocking my processor about a week ago, but then this problem came up. So no, I haven't overclocked it. And from what I remember, I didn't do anything to my computer that would cause it. Could it be my fan isn't running fast enough? Or can I get something that can help with the cooling? I'm not even using my own computer right now because I'm afraid its gonna fry hahah...
Oh another thing is that I let my computer stay on over nights if that would have anything to do with it at all...

Thank you.

I would buy a new high powered heat sink cooling unit and makesure you have thermal gel. You shouldnt leave it on over night. There is no need, also make sure there is not too much dust in the case. It will keep the heat on the parts.

Also, you may want to get at least 2 case fans.

1 intake

1 exhaust

What good is blowing hot air onto an already hot processor?

Having good case fans is better than having a good heatsink/cpu fan

I have 6 case fans right now and my processor never goes about 40C even in very graphic intense games. (compared to 55C before i got the extra fans)

15 degree drop is very good. Also my case temps never exceed 35C.

You may need to upgrade the heatsink as I stated above.

Try defaulting the motherboard bios and make sure you haven't made any changes. Check your connections, and make sure your heatsink is seated on the processor correctly. If it was done by hand maybe they used either too little or to much thermal paste as either can degrade the transfer of heat to the heatsink.

get some compressed air and blow it all over the cpu heatsink with a vacuum cleaner running, or you can just blow on it a couple times with the vacuum cleaner running

YES, i used a toothbrush to scrub the dust under the fan thats on top of the processor (is that the heatsink?) and cleaned most of the insides with a vacuum. Now the tempurature is 27-30 degrees celcius, fan rpm at 3500. So this is pretty much back to normal right guys? Im so relieved.

P.S Is there a way where I can keep my fan running at higher RPM? And how would I go and update my bios?

My bios versions is : P14 (GB85010A.86A.0063.P14.0107182015)

Or so my Intel Active Monitor tells me that is...

theres no point in updating bios if everything works fine, and i dont think you can make your cpu fan run faster. 27-30 is excellent

Just get a new heatsink, for cryin' loud they are cheap.

P.S.: I don't think updating your bios is going to fix your cooling issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom