Processor help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlySniper

Solid State Member
Hi,

I wanted to buy a new processor, but I don't know which one to get and I was hoping I could get your opinion. I currently have a 1.60 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4.

So, from the list below, which one gives me more bang for my buck?

Intel Pentium 4 2.0A GHz 400MHz FSB, 512K Cache Processor - OEM - $118.99

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8B GHz 533MHz FSB, 512K Cache - OEM - $167.99

Intel Celeron (Pentium 4 based) 2.0GHz, 400MHz FSB 128K L2 Processor - OEM - $66.99

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.66 GHz 533MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache Processor - $137.99

Intel Pentium 4 505 2.66 GHz LGA 775, 533MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache Processor - $148.00

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.4B GHz 533MHz FSB, 512K Cache - OEM - $136.99

Well, thats it.

Thanks! :) :)

Couple of things:

1. I am guessing that this is going to be for application uses only? Or will you be gaming as well?

2. I see that a lot of them are OEM, meaning that it will be just the processor you get, not the hsf (heat sink/fan). Do you have a hsf that you can use? If not, then most of those choices will be scratched off already.

Regulus said:
Couple of things:

1. I am guessing that this is going to be for application uses only? Or will you be gaming as well?

2. I see that a lot of them are OEM, meaning that it will be just the processor you get, not the hsf (heat sink/fan). Do you have a hsf that you can use? If not, then most of those choices will be scratched off already.

1. mostly games

2. whats a hsf look like? :)

I would suggest the 2.8 ghz, the other processors are somewhat slow in today's standards. The heatsink is the metal think on top of your processor, and there's a fan screwed right on top of it.

ReverseFluxx said:
The heatsink is the metal think on top of your processor, and there's a fan screwed right on top of it.

I have one on my current processor, is that good enough?

1. mostly games

what about amd? If you are going to be gaming than they would be better. Or did you want to keep your motherboard, (which I'm not sure if you would be able to, as there may of been a new socket since 1.6ghz.)

hed have to replace everything to go to AMD .. whats the point,

can you please tell us ur mobo, so we can check for compatibilty..

P.P. Mguire said:
Probably not. you will need to buy a new one. Plus intel stock heatsinks suck anyways.

The newer intel stock heatsinks dont suck, this coming from an AMD man.

Personally I think you should get the 2.8 out of that list, but if your a gamer going the AMD route will be better since you will most likely need to replace your current motherboard anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom