which processes to remove?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny_uk

Fully Optimized
Just got a new system and setted it all up yesterday, disabled some of the services that arent needed but as you will see from my screen shot i still have 40 which i think is over the average amount? my old system had 29-31.
I mean ok, i may have other stuff installed on the new pc thats in the process list but is there any on here that you can say "no you dont need that"?
Screenshot-07_07_200619_36_34.jpg

best bet, this is what i did, go to msconfig, servise tab i think, then google EVERYTHING, see if its worth keeping, voila, takes a while but theres a good few things you can get rid of

i think the svchost is norton?, i use adaware works a treat

Anything you turn off under the "startup" tab in MSCONFIG is completely safe.

To end processes manually, click on the "Username" category, and then find the "Compaq_Owner" group (for you). You can end everything EXCEPT 'explorer.exe' and 'taskmgr.exe'

svchost is NOT norton. svchost is an important task, do not remove it.

To disable services, do not use MSCONFIG. Instead, type "services.msc" into run and use that. This way, you can set each Service to a couple different states, and completely disable them, etc. Do NOT touch services if you do not know what they do. You could basically ruin your installation of Windows if you do the wrong ones.

harry18 said:
i think the svchost is norton?, i use adaware works a treat

It can't be. Norton products have never been near my harddrive, and i have svchost under processes.

svchost is merely a process, or rather, a manager of a grouping of processes, svchost is used to better debug and control information coming from these processes, things of that nature.

Great stuff, thanks guys :D

Oh and this new pc did actually come with norton 2006 on it but the first thing i did was totally uninstall it;)

if I were you I'd just do a fresh format, I hate bloatware from prebuilt systems.

if you want better help re-arrange that picture so we can see one list of user processes and list of system processes, helps to decide whats cr@p and whats not.

-Jo.

BTW Sometimes there are hidden processes, I suggest to download a custom process manager. forgot which I used to use...but google one or use download.com

well like i said i disabled some services that i know arent needed, and then i did what craze d said and sorted everything into my personal processes and i could see the ones i needed like my anti virus/firewall, msn, stuff like that, but i got it down to 37 now so thats abit better.

Im going to try and find that custom process manager that you were talking about now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom