Probs with Koolance blocks - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Probs with Koolance blocks

"galvanic corrosion"? with premix fluids from Koolance. Never heard of this till today.

Non-conductive coolant nickle plating. How does this happen? Who has seen it? Do you have pictures? I do not see how an oil based non-conductive fluid can cause this.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Probs with Koolance blocks

take a look here

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 01-04-2009, 03:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefemeister View Post
take a look here
I read it. cool thanks alot. Koolance has numbers very close to the others, and with the gold plate and proper mix or very thin oil you will not have a prob.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belzybub View Post
I read it. cool thanks alot. Koolance has numbers very close to the others, and with the gold plate and proper mix or very thin oil you will not have a prob.
Note that those are all old CPU blocks and each has a succesor.

The new Koolance block, the 350, really isn't bad, they are starting to learn their lesson about using aluminum and this block has none.

However it is incredibly high restriction and performs slightly behind the big 3. D-tek Fuzion V2, EK Supreme, Swiftech GTZ.

So in terms of current blocks any of the aove will work just fine. Between the 4 were talking a difference of 1-2 degrees tops. Just know that the Koolance and EK are the best for cpu only loops, the gtz for loops with 2 blocks, and the D-tek for loops with more than 2 blocks.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 01-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire.comptech View Post
Note that those are all old CPU blocks and each has a succesor.

The new Koolance block, the 350, really isn't bad, they are starting to learn their lesson about using aluminum and this block has none.

However it is incredibly high restriction and performs slightly behind the big 3. D-tek Fuzion V2, EK Supreme, Swiftech GTZ.

So in terms of current blocks any of the aove will work just fine. Between the 4 were talking a difference of 1-2 degrees tops. Just know that the Koolance and EK are the best for cpu only loops, the gtz for loops with 2 blocks, and the D-tek for loops with more than 2 blocks.
Thanks man. I looked into everything you said. Koolance has the only I7 adapter I could find and it was only 17 bucks. I am going with an industrial pump as well. 25' of head should be enough. I think if I put enough PSI to it to get more flow we may have a winner.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Which industrial pump? Many of them are not designed for continuous use.

Koolance does not have the only i7 adapter and $17 bucks is about 2 times what it should cost.

Swiftech Apogee GTZ Core i7 Hold down plate

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Electical Engineer

Send a message via AIM to BongWizard Send a message via Yahoo to BongWizard

its not a problem with the coolant... its because of the mix of metals Koolance uses for their blocks...

also, Swiftech has i7 mounting brackets and will perform much better with an i7 rig than the Koolance block (because of the higher flow rate acheivable)

NZXT Lexa BlackLine w/ Red LEDs | Corsair TX-750 | Gigabyte EP45-DS3P | Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.6GHz
2x 2GB Kingston HyperX PC2-6400 @ 960MHz (5-4-4-13) | 3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB HDD in RAID5
2x HIS Radeon HD 4850 @ 761/1129 in CrossFireX w/ Thermaltake DuOrbs | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro

Got a problem?? Click Here before posting!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongWizard View Post
its not a problem with the coolant... its because of the mix of metals Koolance uses for their blocks...
All the newest Koolance blocks are exclusively copper.

They apparently have learned that saving a buck in materials isn't worth the headache in the long run as a result of corrosion.

Thanks!

Old 01-05-2009, 04:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Electical Engineer

Send a message via AIM to BongWizard Send a message via Yahoo to BongWizard

yeah... thats only their newest line of blocks though ... anything else from them is still gonna die pretty quickly

NZXT Lexa BlackLine w/ Red LEDs | Corsair TX-750 | Gigabyte EP45-DS3P | Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.6GHz
2x 2GB Kingston HyperX PC2-6400 @ 960MHz (5-4-4-13) | 3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB HDD in RAID5
2x HIS Radeon HD 4850 @ 761/1129 in CrossFireX w/ Thermaltake DuOrbs | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro

Got a problem?? Click Here before posting!

Closed Thread