Problems, problems, problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpueesupport

Beta member
I have a barebone and i have placed a harddrive, floppy, cdrom, etc. into this computer. When i turn the computer on the fans run but i have no visual connection with the monitor. The motherboard was supposed to have onboard graphics but i can't see anything but a black screen with no cursor. The monitor as well as the drives work when i plug another computer into it. Can you help ?

Go back to nothing but what you absolutely need to run the computer and see if it works then. Then add ONE item at a time and see it it works, when it craps out on you, you know that item is the problem.

If it craps out before you even start adding, check the power supply, your connections, the motherboard itself to see if it's okay and hadn't fried, etc.

Take GOOD notes and post back what you find out. Liz

I checked all jumpers on the board, I reset the cmos, I then also then used the hard drive, memory, motherboard, Tried a video card to see if the monitor would work.
I dont know how to check or test if a motherboard is bad, but these components were new, and from my knowledge no static electricity has fried them. Dead ends, I would know where to start if I had a error or could get the motherboard and cpu memory etc. to register the monitor. or screen

Does the monitor work on the other computer?

Also and this is a quote from a Professional Technician that I know from another form:

What brand of power supply unit are you using? How many AMPs does it provide on the TWELVE VOLT rail? There should be a label on it that shows the AMPs on the +12V, +5V, and +3.3V lines. The +12V amperage rating is the single most critical value for PSUs. If your unit doesn't meet AMD standards for amperage, you should replace it right away.

Did you check the AMD website to see if your PSU is certified to work with the AMD64 CPU? It requires CLEAN power, from a QUALITY PSU, and you should probably have at LEAST a 400 WATT unit, if not something better. I recommend both Antec and Enermax PSUs, especially for high-end CPUs like yours. Check Tom's Hardware http://www.tomshardware.com/ for information; these links will help you get started:

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040122/index.html

http://www17.tomshardware.com/searc...ds=power+supply

Good luck; let us know more about your PSU. Odds are, you'll have to buy a better one than you have now, but a good PSU is well worth the investment. Dirty power causes fluctuations on the voltage rails; from what I've read previously, that can lead to corrupted data on the harddrive, and I'm sure you DON'T want to risk your data with a cheap, low-quality PSU.

Now, that is a direct quote...I do not know what type of motherboard YOU are using. But the quote still applies. Did you check the website of the maker of your motherboard?

And here is another post of his dealing with a *dead* monitor issue:

What make and model of monitor is it? Have you tried connecting a DIFFERENT monitor to the system? If you do, and the problem goes away, you have a MONITOR problem of some type, because the problem went with the monitor. If you have the SAME problem with a DIFFERENT monitor, you have a problem with your videocard, the CMOS settings, or possibly somewhere else entirely, because the problem stayed with the computer.

Truthfully, it sounds like a bad connection somewhere, whether it is the video cable from the monitor to the PC, or the videocard itself not fully seated inside the computer case. Has someone moved the computer or monitor recently? That can cause the videocard to lose full contact with the slot on the motherboard. If the videocard is not fully seated in the slot on the motherboard, you will not get a video signal to the monitor, and that would cause the type of problem you seem to have. If someone has recently disconnected and reconnected the video cable, you could have a bent pin inside the video cable connector, where it attaches to the computer. You might want to remove the cable and look inside the connector for a bent pin. Don't be concerned if some pins seem to be missing; DO be concerned if one or more pins are bent.

If you can, while using a different monitor, boot into Windows, then click on the Start button. Look along the Start Menu and tell us which version of Windows you have.

If you switch monitors and notice OTHER problems with the system, such as the wrong time or date, please make note of that and post it here.

That will keep you busy while I find the thread on the capacitors. Liz

the motherboard is a M7VIG with a 2200 mhz amd cpu, this was preinstalled in the barebone, I then have PC3200 DDR 400 MHZ chip which I am not sure if it is compatible, although it seems I would at least get a post screen from the bios or cmos setup that the ram is not compatible. I Looked at the specs of the motherboard and it says DDR SPD 266,333,400 PC 2100/2700, and 3200 is compatible.
The power supply is made by POWER atx power supply unit
Voltage: 115V- 230V
+3.3v +5V 12V
Peak Load 430 W
Frequency 60-50 Hz

Yes, All of the parts going in the computer including the monitor work on other machines.

The problems are with the motherboard, CPU and Power supply which I have narrowed it down to these.

The jumper setting seems to only boot on 2 and 3 slots.

General FAQ Date : 2004-08-31
Q 45 : Why does my system have no screen output after over-clock?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ans : If your system does not have screen output after over-clock. This might be caused by the CPU¡¦s Front-Side -Bus (FSB) over the chipset¡¦s limitation. You can restore the BIOS default setting by clear the CMOS setting. Once the CMOS goes back to default setting, the System will able to boot-up properly.

Following show the procedure how to Clear the CMOS Setting:
1. Turn off the system and remove AC power cord from the power supply.
2. Set JCMOS1 to Pin 2-3.
3. Wait for 10 seconds.
4. Set JCMOS1 back to Pin 1-2.
5. Connect AC power cord back to power supply and power on the system.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/mainboard/board.php3?name=M7VIG 400 (7.x)

If ALL the other parts work on another computer, except the motherbord and you set it back to factory defaults and it still won't work, then I would say you have a defective motherboard. Liz

I also have a dragon case with kt 600 and the fans do not run, the motherboard lights up but the fans dont move. same issues.

I have feeling the components work but think I am doing something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom