Problems with Heatsink and fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

subdismal

Solid State Member
I posted not too long ago about needing better cooling, not sure if you guys remember. Well, I was reccomended some Vantec "Tornados" and a Thermalright heatsink. So, I placed my NewEgg.com order, and yesterday I got the parts.

I'm installing the new heatsink first, and everything went fine except for the normal hassle trying to get the bar that goes through the heatsink mounted to the motherboard. I put on the thermal paste, mounted up the 92MM Tornado, then installed the two 80MM Tornados in my case. I then hooked up the Vantec Nexus fan controller and everything seemed to be easy with that. Everything seemed to have went smooth...until I turned on my computer.

When I tried to boot my computer, after hooking up all the I/O items, the lights inside my case came on, and the fans started working, but nothing was coming through the monitor. I had no video display whatsoever.

I'm not sure where I went wrong. This was pretty much a painless install, but I'd hope that you all know from experience, that dumb mistakes can happen. I think that's what it is...I'd hope so, anyway. I went back and checked to make sure all my wires were hooked up right, etc. and the best I could tell, they were.

I talked to a friend of my father's who is pretty computer savvy, and also an electrical engineer, and he reccomended that I check to make sure my processor is in correctly. He said he had the same problem... I'll check that this evening.

What do you guys think it could be? I need some help. :confused:

Information you might need:
- Video Card: NVIDIA gForce 3 128MB
- Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2100+ Thorobred
- Motherboard: Epox 8RDA+

yea im alsmost positive i know. SInce u hooked up the fans, your PSU does not have enough juice to power up the computer. Try to take the fans off and turn on the computer just for a sec. See if that works. It should work since it has the power. What size PSU are u using now?

Yea, those specs of yours dont list what your PSU is. You need a decent size PSU to run that kinda stuff. As in... over 400W. I run the same setup and my PSU is 470W and I barely have enough juice for it (but Im on a 3200+, 3 HDDs, 3 tornados, 2 IDE drives... enough to fry a normal PSU).

Sounds like the power supply.

I had a similar problem, what I did was unhooked all the cables and then hooked them up again and everything worked fine.

I'm almost positive I have a 430 watt PS, which I thought should be enough.

I had to take the newbie way out and send my computer to a shop. They should be calling me soon today and let me know what's wrong with it. Not bad for $65, eh? =/

We'll see if what you guys say is right. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom