Problems already...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what you're saying...
a memory divider lets your CPU's HTT run faster than your RAM
the G.Skill RAM I posted works at 250MHZ

if you run a 5:6 divider, and your RAM at 250MHZ, your CPU will be 250 / (5/6) * 10 = 3000MHZ
however your CPU may not be able to handle 3GHZ, so if you ran with no memory divider and a 250MHZ HTT your CPU will be 2500MHZ. and you may be able to increase it further.

to hit 2.6GHZ, you will need a 260MHZ HTT

Assuming everything is running at stock speed (200HTT), setting a 5:6 (or 166 if you want to call it that) divider on your RAM would make the RAM run at 166MHz and the HTT stay at 200MHz. Lets say for example you set your HTT at 220 and your divider at 5:6 (166). Your RAM would be running at 186MHz. The way you get that is by taking the original MHz of the divider (in this case 166) and add the ammount of MHz over 200 your HTT is (20, in this case).

okay, i downclocked my ram to pc 333 now, and i was able to hit 2.4 ghz, i tried for 2.5, and failed, didnt get a post, would i have to lower my ram again -_- ...... or could it be that its not getting enough juice (i doubt this one).... and would downclocking the ram far enough just make my computer slower

Put your RAM on the lowest divider you can use so that its not a limiting factor. That way you can see how far you CPU is capable of going.

Yeah, but it would allow you to find the limits of your CPU, so when you do get better RAM you can be able to overclock it better.

well right now i'm at 2.8 with the lowest possible ram setting (2 something) ... and wow, this is pretty fast... i've hit my fx 57 speeds... but how much am i really sacrificing with the ram down?? i'm beginning to think i don't really need 2 gigs of ram...

right now i'm running 4 aim boxes, my firewall and updates, and i'm running 25 degrees celcius on this cpu

i hit 2.8 and stopped, i havent tried higher yet... i think i may up the ram again, and put it at 2.6, maybe even just put it back to 333 and have a 2.4 ghz, that ran fairly fast as well... i saw no difference

Take it as far as you can go! When you hit your peak, put the RAM as high as you can and run a benchmark to find your bandwidth. Then try the same benchmark on with the faster RAM and slower CPU and see how they compare.

hrmmm what could i use for cpu benchmarking???

wow i just checked what ram speed i was using and it was at pc200.... it was going double the speed... that can't be good

i think i'm only going to go for 1 gig of ram for now, pc 4000, or possible higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom