Problem with 9800SE Pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you can answer this, you says you changed your Direct3D to OpenGL?

Where abouts is the settings for this? Quick question ;).

Oh thats easy. Go into Options in Counter Strike. There is a Video Tab. Click the tab and the window should refresh. There is a little list that has three options. Software, D3D (which is Direct3D) and OpenGL. Just pick one! :)

Rouen said:
Its true that nvidia has great potential for OCing, but I'm not trying to fry the thing lol. I'll be getting a Thermaltake Xaser III SuperTower, 5 intake fans, 2 exhaust fans. I'm hoping that the 2 exhaust fans will be enough (since their more important then intake) if I was to get a 6800GT. I can't get the card right now, as I just paid 400 for my current upgrades, and 800 for 6 month insurance bill and dental bill, that'll leave me with just a couple hundred, then I gotta worry about college lol. A four, five hundred dollar investment better be damn worth it. Thats why I'm being so picky, I want to know that I go the right thing.

Btw, another question, and this one should be easy for you. I got a stick of this RAM here now.... heres the link. Would it be worth getting another stick of this?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-420&depa=0

Thanks again. I swear I'm almost done with this thread ROFL

:) replies are welcome!

Thanks alot, I'll try it out soon.

It's just when I played CS:S recently I've been getting glitches so reading your post got me thinking in other words!

Thanks again.

Hey Dale, speaking of that card, I'm using a 9800SE PowerColor, but with the whats going on with it, I dunno if I wanna get it again LOL.

Besides the software bundles and the fans, is there a real difference between all those other kinds of x800 XL's? Like the ASUS, PowerColor, Direct3D, Roswell, and so forth?

The price of either the X800XL or 6800GT will roughly be the same dude. Here's eVGA 6800GT

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-203&depa=1

$378, $9 more lol.......oddly enough the AGP is $1 cheaper than the PCI-E version, amusing

Anywho, it's pretty hard to fry a video card from overclocking it man. You push it until you see artifacts, then back it down, and bam you're done.....not much to it really....... but as far as price as concerned they are fairly equal.

And yes as dale said 1gb will make a good difference in games, I know it did for me. Just smoothes it out and gets rid of any potential lag

Oh I'm sureit would make a great improvement, but I wanted to know if it would get a good idea to get ANOTHER stick of the same stuff, in terms of quality and speed. I know Corsair makes better stuff then that, but it still really good I think. No problems with it, and it doesn't even get lukewarm, the computer was built almost two weeks ago and I still have the case cover off.

I know the prices are fairly similar for teh cheapest, but the models vary greatly in price and I just want to know the difference. If its really just the software bundle that makes some of the x800 and 6800GT's more expensive then the rest, screw it, I'll get the cheapy one.

If you got a problem with powercolor the sapphire one is like $7 more, I doubt you would have a problem with them. Everybody loves sapphire(ati) and eVGA(nvidia) it seems like.

I know the prices are fairly similar for teh cheapest, but the models vary greatly in price and I just want to know the difference.
well like dale has observed, eVGA is a damn good model. The differences come from the fact of good RMA service should you ever need it or tech support in general and the overall quality of the cards. As you've noticed powercolor seems to not be great lol, just like I feel about chaintech. I have a chaintech FX 5700, first one died, RMA'd it, got the new one, now 6 months later this ones dying, so yeah I won't be getting them again.

Don't know a quality ATI maker, but dale says Sapphire and since he's an ATI dude I'd take his word on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom