Prescott Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chankama

Fully Optimized
So what are the success stories guys?.. :). I am somewhat concerned about doing this with the stock heatsink. How did you guys get around the heat issues while overclocking?..

I am looking at the Thermaltake Silent 775 CPU fan for overclocking purposes. What do you guys think?.. What do you think I'll be able to hit with a 3.0 GHz.

I would be careful with an 775 Prescott, those things run hot to begin with, although with proper cooling I'm sure you can overclock it ok.

all prescotts run hoT! don't let the high temp fool or scare you.

i've got my 3.4 up to 4.13...runs best at 3.9 though...

stock heatsinks are fine..always a good idea to upgrade though

Damn 4.1ghz, thats rough. Chankama, prescotts are great for OC, but of course they have heat isusse. For that type of cpu, you need a really good cpu fan. I suggest the Vantec Tornado, im sure everyone agrees it will get the job done.

But it go's beyond your heatsink/cpu fan. Decide if your going air cooling or water cooloing. For starters, i suggest air cooling. With the appropriate positioning, air cooling can really drop those temps. Over all, the best is both. I went with air cooling, then im going to add some type of liquid cooling system around fall.

4.1? thats not that extreem. i got my AMD 3200 running at the speeds of a 4.2ghz easy few vcore tweeks prime stable and look at that guy doing 7.2ghz thats an oc

Sh0r_ty said:
4.1? thats not that extreem. i got my AMD 3200 running at the speeds of a 4.2ghz easy few vcore tweeks prime stable and look at that guy doing 7.2ghz thats an oc

...you got your 3200+ to the performance of a 4.2GHz, not an actual 4.2GHz right?

comparing actual overclocking, going from 3.4GHz - 4.1GHz is a much bigger overclock than 3200+ "speeds" - ~4.2GHz "speeds". He got a 700MHz overclock, on your AMD it would only take like 500MHz or so i imagine.

Not to mention the guy doing 7.2GHz is only POST screen stable, he cant even load Windows from what i have seen of it. And hes got insane cooling. I would say a 700MHz overclock with a Prescott (HOT!) chip on straight air cooling is very "extreme". Most people would at least need water cooling.

Secondly, he never said it was "extreme", he just said it. I am sure you are very proud of yourself but no need to downtalk someone elses work.

4W4K3 said:
I would say a 700MHz overclock with a Prescott (HOT!) chip on straight air cooling is very "extreme". Most people would at least need water cooling.
I have air cooling (stock HSF) I got my CPU up to 3.7ghz.. The full load temp is at 75-79c and the idle is 50-55c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom