powerstrip, graphics oc'ing

Status
Not open for further replies.
powerstrip, graphics overclocking

meh, i wrote my crappy tut last night and decided i'll post it.

Powerstrip is a graphics card overclocking utility that can be used in conjunction with almost any card, I have yet to encounter a graphics card that I could not use it with. It is relatively simple to use but here is a short tutorial.

To overclock your graphics card open Powerstrip and click on the icon in the sytem tray. Select Performance Profiles>Configure. You will be presented with a screen that looks something like this:

initialpstrip.jpg

This should be the default settings of your card. The slider on the left controls the engine or GPU clock and the slider on the right controls the memory clock. When overclocking you should try as many different possible combinations of memory clock and engine clock in small increments. In some instances like in this example the memory clock will be forced to be synchronised with the engine clock. Increment the clock speeds by 1mhz at a time and save it as a profile using the save as button.

increment1.jpg

Make sure to give it a name that is descriptive of the settings e.g. “gpu 56mhz mem 56mhz”. Apply the settings and see if it runs stable. If the screen develops artifacts and you cannot see holding Ctrl+Alt+S will revert to the adapter defaults. If it gets to the point where the screen develops artifacts clock it down a step or so from here and run some graphics tests and see if it can run stable at this point. Application profiles can be produced so that when a particular program is started Powerstrip will automatically restore settings. If your system crashes restart and hold down Ctrl while windows boots to the desktop. When Powerstrip loads it will come up with a message like “Powerstrip was started with the Ctrl key held down returning to defaults”. Once you have experimented a little you can produce a list of different profiles to switch between.

switch.jpg

This screenshot shows the menu that appears when clicking on the system tray icon. By selecting the different options in this list it will instantly change the clock settings on your graphics card. This is why it is important to give a definitive name to the profiles. LOL I know that is a slow a** card IÂ’ve got.

appprofile.jpg

For example when you start a game you can configure it to up your resolution and overclock your graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom