powers up but nothing else

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that missing pin is ok because some monitors have a feature where it sendsthe modle# to the GPU so that the sttings can be optimized for it. What type of ram do you have is it SDRAM(DIMM) or RDRAM(RIMM)?

I have SD RAM, but would that explain why the monitor just seems to be not responding at all to the computer. it looks like nothing is connected. Occasionally it will and then then the power light just blinks. i have a stick of 512mb pc 2700 ddr sdram.

ok

since i was last here i have done the following things and come to 2 possible conclusions:

What i've tried:

1. Reseated the video card like six times

2. tried the ram in different slots, then a different stick (the one in this comp) in all 3 slots.

3. Tried 2 monitors

4. Taken the fan off, checked the pins, then reseated the processor and fan.

5. checked connections ( probly do it again)

What im thinking of trying:
1. Putting in a different video card when i get this old computer from someone i know.

2. replacing the hard drive with the hard drive from that same computer( at different times.)

Conclusions:

1. My graphics card is somehow defective. perhaps i can return it to circuit city or contact ati.

2. My HDD is incompatible (the specs on my motherboard are confusing, it says bus mastering EIDE/ ATAPI ports, seeming to be EIDE compatible, yet in the section explaining these ports, it sound like you need ata 33/66/100 wtf?)

3. My computer is not colled well enough to run yet. Perhaps it way overheated and therfore refusing to work. cooling fans could do the job in this case.

4. Processor is either unusable on my mobo, or it is defective.

If any of this makes any sense, tell me, if not, tell me what you think may be wrong. I would love to have this thing running, it would feel like an accomlishment after all this.

just so everyone knows for sure, this comp is being built, its never worked.

ok well vy what i found on this site :
http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/step/23/
it seems my hdd isnt responding, though i do hear it spinning. i just don't see a light flashing. perhaps i connected the led cable wrong.

but im just like lost as to what to do. I tryed all i can think. i dont wanna buy new stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom