Powering a case with no components (possible?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tymetwister

Baseband Member
This may sound stupid, but I bought a new case with a PSU and I havent yet bought the other components. I want to test the LED lights that are on the case to see if they come on.

Could I do this by just plugging in a cord to the power supply and turning it on? Or do I need to connect the PSU to a board first before the lights on the case would come on. Can I just connect the LED fans to the PSU and power up? Also I don't want to short anything out, so I figured I'd ask on here. Thanks!

I wouldn't do that if I were you. PSUs need a minimum power draw, otherwise it could short stuff out. Plus I think you would have to connect it to a Mobo for you to be able to switch it on anyway.

Yeah, Im just not sure about it. Seems like it should work in theory but also feels like something could go wrong.

It won't power on just by plugging it in and hitting the switch. It would, however, if you shorted the green wire with a black one (although I wouldn't recommend it, it's bad for the PSU). Bottom line, just wait until you get your mobo.

If you shorted the green wire (pin 14) to the black (pins 3,5,7,15,16 & 17 or even just to the metalwork of the case) with power to the PSU, the PSU would turn on, but it wouldn't do anything with the LEDs on your case, as they're not connected to anything.

Best way to test them is to identify the Power and HDD LED Cables coming from the panel on the front of the case, carefully remove the plastic insulators from the plugs, make sure you have polarity correct (usually the coloured wire is +ve and the white is -ve) and stick them on a 9V PP3 battery.

BUT, if I were you, I'd just wait til you get your Mobo!:D

You should have wires comming from the back of the LEDs. These wires connect to the motherboard not the PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom