Power Switch Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

apsoul

In Runtime
So i moved all my computer components from my HP a6700f into an old ATX full tower. I had some minor problems, and need to fabricate some mounting hardware for my card reader, wireless antenna, wireless antenna card (about .5in by 3in.) and make new holes to mount rear exhaust fan.
Now to my problem. The power switch with led's and reset sw from the old case doesn't seem to match up the the switch pins on my mobo. I did an older mobo swap, and the pins had labels for me to hook up the correct switch plugs, but my newer mobo doesn't have labels, and there are fewer pins.
My current solution was to forgo the front panel, and take pwr switch from hp case and set it in the hole in full tower case. It won't mount, and i can't put a panel on. This Swap idea I had is starting to look like a bust. Might just fork over the cash and buy a new case. Kinda bummed out. I was looking for a full tower, but they seem too expensive, and there are mid tower cases that will accommodate a standard ATX mobo, so i think i might go that route.
Any thoughts on if this case is do-able or should i cut my losses and buy a new one pronto.

edit: was a minor success in accomplishing what i had intended (better airflow). I went from one lower rear panel exhaust to 1 upper rear panel exhaust and 1 lower front panel intake. along with bigger case for more moving air. could easily install top panel exhaust too. So it wasn't all bad i guess :)

So i moved all my computer components from my HP a6700f into an old ATX full tower. I had some minor problems, and need to fabricate some mounting hardware for my card reader, wireless antenna, wireless antenna card (about .5in by 3in.) and make new holes to mount rear exhaust fan.
Now to my problem. The power switch with led's and reset sw from the old case doesn't seem to match up the the switch pins on my mobo. I did an older mobo swap, and the pins had labels for me to hook up the correct switch plugs, but my newer mobo doesn't have labels, and there are fewer pins.
My current solution was to forgo the front panel, and take pwr switch from hp case and set it in the hole in full tower case. It won't mount, and i can't put a panel on. This Swap idea I had is starting to look like a bust. Might just fork over the cash and buy a new case. Kinda bummed out. I was looking for a full tower, but they seem too expensive, and there are mid tower cases that will accommodate a standard ATX mobo, so i think i might go that route.
Any thoughts on if this case is do-able or should i cut my losses and buy a new one pronto.

edit: was a minor success in accomplishing what i had intended (better airflow). I went from one lower rear panel exhaust to 1 upper rear panel exhaust and 1 lower front panel intake. along with bigger case for more moving air. could easily install top panel exhaust too. So it wasn't all bad i guess :)

To be honest, I'm not sure if I fully understand your question...if it's a matter of labelling on the mobo pins, that should be in the manual. If you don't have a copy you should be able to find one online.

Barring that why don't you just drill a hole in your front panel with a hole saw and mount your replacement switch onto it? If possible just punch out the old switch and replace it with a new one. You can check your local electrical supply store, they should have hundreds of shapes, sizes and types you can choose from.

Again, not sure if I get your question so this might be a useless aswer...pics would help.

yea, that post was more of a frustrated rant of me trying to solve my own problem by typing it out it seems. My apologies for the confusion. I could probably remove the buttons on the old case's faceplate and then bondo over it, cut a nice neat hole, and then mount the hp's power switch into it that way, but i've decided to just go with a new case instead. I'll probably run into some similar problems with mounting certain hardware (wireless antenna plug/chip and multi-card reader) but I will have more options on where to place these things, and i won't have to fabricate fan mounts. And a new case will look a **** of a lot better. Thanks for your help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom