Power Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nero

Solid State Member
Okay, I just finished putting together my computer, I plug it in, turn it on and the LEDS flick on and the fans spin, for about .5 seconds, then dead. I checked the cables hundreds of times. Everything is hooked up and as far as I know, hooked up right. It's not a too little problem as the case and psu used to belong to a friend who had more things hooked up to it, and its only a few months old. I can't think of anything that could be wrong except the power supply though, what do you guys think?

I'm not thinking its a watt problem though. But here it goes:
350W psu hooked up to:
1 HDD
1 CD-RW/DVD
AMD CPU
512 MB ram
Firewire PCI card

It worked when my friend used it and he had all of that plus an 8-1 card reader and a videocard.
Also, I tried to turn it on without the CD plugged in and it still just flickered.

check that your cpu is seated correctly, and that the fan on the heatsink is plugged in correctly, if your didn't get your cpu in there right you probably screwed that up along with the mobo, but if it's turning off and then back on, it could very well be that your chip is overheating...

could it be overheating that quickly though? It seriously only runs for .5 seconds.

well.. or if the cpu is dead or something, it's possible.. I'm really not quite sure what the problem is here, but maybe check your ram also.. damn! this lightning is freaking me out lol.. anyways make sure your heatsink is on really well..

Your computer boots up, 5 seconds later it's off right? and that's that?.. nothing else happens? no fireworks or anything?.. =)

.5, half a sec, if that. The LEDs on the front turn on just so you can see em, and the fans spin for just a sec, then it goes dead. Is there a wrong way to put in ram?

ack, storm just cut the power out hehe.. anyways, there's not a wrong way to put it in, but it won't go in if it's backwards.. the slit in the stick should line up with the slit in the dimm slot, but it's possible it didn't seat correctly, like.. go all the way in, may want to check that out

I'll check ram, might try and tackle the cpu/heat sink, anything else? I don't have any other psus to try.

yea, iono dude.. just try those and if they don't work, i suggest finding a friend with like components that you can trade out to find what's wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom