Power Delivery, Important?

Roark

Lord of Bacon
So the MC I'm getting my CPU/MB from (Friday!) is out of the ASRock Extreme4 and I'm trying to decide on a new choice.

I noticed my current 3 options have all the features I need and more, but varying power delivery. How important is it to OCing, and is there a point where you just don't get much more benefit to price?

What I'm looking at:
$140 Asus P8Z77-V LK (4+1+1)
$135 Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H (6+4)
$170 MSI Z77A-GD65 (8+1+2+1)

I really like the MSI but its kind of hard to justify the higher price, so I'm leaning toward the Gigabyte (yeah bad RMA, I know).

*Edit - Think I found a solution to my dilemma, there is another MC about 10min further away that has the Extreme4 which is (8+4) and $135 for comparison.

Question still stands about importance to OCing though...

Last edited:
So the MC? Media Center?

Obviously, the more phases the more power your board can supply to the board. Out of the 3, the last 2 options are the best in terms of OC ability but cooling and of course a good chip play the factor as well.

Micro Center.

I'm waffling hard between the Gigabyte and ASRock.
While the ASRock has "more" phases, apparently the quality isn't the same as Gigabyte's... as far as I can tell.
http://sinhardware.com/images/vrm.jpg

Not feeling the Gigabyte's lack of mosfet/choke cooling, though again not sure how important it is.

Feel like I need a degree in electrical engineering whenever I start doing in-depth research like this.
Or that I should just close my eyes and point at one, since as budget boards they aren't going to be doing anything incredible anyway.

Last edited:
I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here and say that any Z77 board by the big 3 will overclock to the point where it won't matter unless you start using L2N.

Hardly any difference in motherboards nowadays besides features anyway.

Back
Top Bottom