Powdercoat or Chrome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
We all know what Powder coating is, right? Good. We all know what Chroming is right? Good. Now, I have the oppritunity to have either one done on the very cheap, so which do you think?

If I have it done black (Flat black or high gloss, very common color) I am going to paint a mural on the side with an airbrush. Maybe not a mural per say, btu something cool.

If it is chromed, I cannot do anything to it in regards to painting it.

Suggestions, I need 'em!

As for the mural, I was thinking the prism from the Darkside of the Moon by Floyd.

Chrome would be cool, but I dunno something about a solide chrome side but me too much, maybe some chrome trim or something.

I can only do one or the other, not a comvbination of. The problem with chrome is it's thinkness. i know it thousanths of an inch, but when fitting the panels on, the chrome could be too thick. I've heard of people having powder coat on that is too thick, and they have had to sand down the parts where the case meets with chassis. Upon thinking right now, I may go buy another case so I can have both done, and have one around just to have... Hmm... Still, need suggestions. The big problem with chrome is the front panel. It is plstic, so I cannot chrome that, or can I? no, i imagine it would melt in the chroming and ruin their machines. If I powder coat it, I can still paint the front panel black, and since it is platic, wont scratch as easily. At least, wont be as noticable.

Take the panels, screw a couple big bolts on it, then chrome it all. Then, using a disk sander, do a few gouging passes around the edges and across the main sections to rip the chrome up like its been scratched. Then, using a polishing belt or pad, really press into those areas to burnish them and blend them with the chrome. Take some brown model paint, preferably a gloss, and with your fingers smear it over the "scratches", let it sit for a day or so. Clean it off with a wet rag, then, with less enthusiasm, polish the scratches good to burnish it a bit more, taking off most of the brown. Then, polish the whole thing over again to make the chrome look good again. Don't worry about nicks and bumps.

There, now you got a nice chrome job that looks like its seen some hot action (kinda like chromed pipes on a Mustang fighter).

Gloss it all with a nice clear gloss to protect it. Throw us some pics.

POWDERCOAT THE CHROMER YEAH!!

I like shiney things so I'd be partial to chrome unless you could do one helluva an airbrushing

What I've been thinking is powder coating the panels and chroming the chassis. Now THAT'S HOT! Sorry for being Paris Hilton for a second there, wont happen again. :confused:

I dont lknow how plausible it will be, but I'm going to look into it. This weekend I had to take the ENTIRE chassis apart, drill out every rivet, and strip every peice. Acetone or Paint Thinner wont take it off either, and it dosent strip easily, so it's going to be a while before I get that thing all done. I'll keep ya'll updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom