Powdercoat or Chrome? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2005, 09:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Him Send a message via Yahoo to Him
Default Powdercoat or Chrome?

We all know what Powder coating is, right? Good. We all know what Chroming is right? Good. Now, I have the oppritunity to have either one done on the very cheap, so which do you think?

If I have it done black (Flat black or high gloss, very common color) I am going to paint a mural on the side with an airbrush. Maybe not a mural per say, btu something cool.

If it is chromed, I cannot do anything to it in regards to painting it.

Suggestions, I need 'em!

As for the mural, I was thinking the prism from the Darkside of the Moon by Floyd.

Old 07-15-2005, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

chrome it

If I help you with something, you think I'm the bomb, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the star under my post.

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 07-15-2005, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to Something Sexy

Chrome would be cool, but I dunno something about a solide chrome side but me too much, maybe some chrome trim or something.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Enterprise SCCM\SCOM
Send a message via ICQ to jseber1982 Send a message via AIM to jseber1982 Send a message via Yahoo to jseber1982

Yea it cant be totally chrome. Need to have some kinda contrast. Something really bright so it gets a reflection
Old 07-15-2005, 11:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I can only do one or the other, not a comvbination of. The problem with chrome is it's thinkness. i know it thousanths of an inch, but when fitting the panels on, the chrome could be too thick. I've heard of people having powder coat on that is too thick, and they have had to sand down the parts where the case meets with chassis. Upon thinking right now, I may go buy another case so I can have both done, and have one around just to have... Hmm... Still, need suggestions. The big problem with chrome is the front panel. It is plstic, so I cannot chrome that, or can I? no, i imagine it would melt in the chroming and ruin their machines. If I powder coat it, I can still paint the front panel black, and since it is platic, wont scratch as easily. At least, wont be as noticable.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Dark_Sniper* Send a message via Yahoo to Dark_Sniper*

i would glos that sucker up then do that moral him.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

powdercoat it in black man I have seen that stuff and it looks good!
Old 07-15-2005, 03:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

Take the panels, screw a couple big bolts on it, then chrome it all. Then, using a disk sander, do a few gouging passes around the edges and across the main sections to rip the chrome up like its been scratched. Then, using a polishing belt or pad, really press into those areas to burnish them and blend them with the chrome. Take some brown model paint, preferably a gloss, and with your fingers smear it over the "scratches", let it sit for a day or so. Clean it off with a wet rag, then, with less enthusiasm, polish the scratches good to burnish it a bit more, taking off most of the brown. Then, polish the whole thing over again to make the chrome look good again. Don't worry about nicks and bumps.

There, now you got a nice chrome job that looks like its seen some hot action (kinda like chromed pipes on a Mustang fighter).

Gloss it all with a nice clear gloss to protect it. Throw us some pics.

Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 07-15-2005, 04:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

I like shiney things so I'd be partial to chrome unless you could do one helluva an airbrushing
Old 07-17-2005, 05:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

What I've been thinking is powder coating the panels and chroming the chassis. Now THAT'S HOT! Sorry for being Paris Hilton for a second there, wont happen again.

I dont lknow how plausible it will be, but I'm going to look into it. This weekend I had to take the ENTIRE chassis apart, drill out every rivet, and strip every peice. Acetone or Paint Thinner wont take it off either, and it dosent strip easily, so it's going to be a while before I get that thing all done. I'll keep ya'll updated.

Closed Thread