a post in the future....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonidas

Daemon Poster
one of the biggest arguments i have seen for the AMD64 is that it will "prepare your computer for the future", however i must say that nearly everyone in this forum will upgrade again atleast once before 64 bit computing goes mainstream... so is this truly much of a valid argument? unless you are running linux where you can see the benefits now i say go for an XP, or very low rated AMD64... just my thoughts, now share yours (any opinions on waiting til dual-core is also welcome)

Well I personally think (except for my RAM and vid card) that my system is about as high as it's going to get and I just got it this past month. So personally my next upgrade will be a 64bit and by that time I know prices will be much cheaper and it will be more universal.....but then again it could take quite sometime before 64bit is fully utilized and I'm sure once it is they'll have 128-bit right around the corner ;)

If I had a gb of some high performance memory and a better graphics card, with my current 2.7GHz XP-M it'd match any current 64 with the same specs because the 64's are sitting down at 2.2 and 2.4GHz although they still do better than a normal 2.2 or 2.4GHz XP

When people say you're set for the future, I think they are talking about..in reality...your computer will be good for atleast 3 years without worry of it being completely obsolete...if you have a system that's 3 years old now, chances are it isn't that fast whereas the 64's still will be....just my opinion ;)

there have been many advances in computers in the past year, including the 6800's and X800's, Athlon 64's, DDR2 and PCI-E
I think as soon as AMD use PCI-E and DDR2, the market will settle down for a while before other technologies are introduced

Well the 6800 is supposed to be the biggest leap in graphic cards power in quite some time...meaning other generations were just capable of handling graphics incrementally better whereas the 6800 and X800 are supposed to be like 10 times better than previous generation and all that good stuff....They need to overcome heat and power consumption issues before they can go any further really...things are getting too hot and too power hungry as it is. They're going to have to find a new architecture, smaller transistors (god knows how they even have them as small as they do) and then like I said figure out someway for it to be more powerful but produce less heat......I have no idea how they plan on doing that. Currently AMD uses .13u transistors and I believe the fastest Intel is .09u transistor size, so AMD needs to get up with those smaller transistors and then adding more in they could really make some powerhouses.

the 9600 can run Doom 3 alright, the 9800 can play it better, and since the 6800's and X800's is about 2 to 2.5 times better than the 9800, I think this is quite true

AMD already have .09u architecture in their CPU's, I believe in the 3000+ and 3200+ socket 939

I agree though that they need to address power consumption and the heat issues, nowadays CPU's require at bare minimum a heatsink, and then usually a fan on it

apokalipse said:

I agree though that they need to address power consumption and the heat issues, nowadays CPU's require at bare minimum a heatsink, and then usually a fan on it

good lord yes they do certainly require both

AMD already have .09u architecture in their CPU's, I believe in the 3000+ and 3200+ socket 939
Really? Cause I've seen people posting their CPU-Z screenshots of their AMD64's that have been OC'd and I always see .13u as their current technology. I've only seen a screen shot once with .09u and I coulda sworn it was Intel, but my memory is fuzzy so I can't fully remember.

even my old MMX has both heatsink&fan
Mine doesn't :D I had a Gf2 Ti 64mb, bought this FX in my sig, the FX died and I had given the Ti to a friend of mine, but he gave me his GF2 MX 32mb in return just to have a spare card like I would have had, and that GF2 MX 32mb card didn't have a heatsink AT ALL, it was just the chip exposed, no heatsink no fan, no nothing, but I added a fan to it not too long ago for the hell of it because in my case modding project I had ordered a little kit that had NB, SB, and VGA cooler in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom