possibel to put to much arctic silver 5 on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil4915

Baseband Member
I just installed a new heatsink fan combo thermalright slk-900a with panaflo h1a 92x25mm on my amd athlon xp2800+ barton and i was wondering if it's possible to put too much of it on. woudl it affect performance if it too much is put on. mytemps for the cpu are 45 celcius so thats why i was wondering. i put a thin strip on the cpu and a little glob onto the heatsin kand put it on, was that right????

thanks,
ryan

sounds like it should be ok, just make sure that the paste/gel(whatever) is only on the cpu, because if its not it might screw with things, you'll probably want to increase airflow and make sure that your current fans are clean and it should drop to about 38 celcius

you should use a credit card or equivalent to make a very thin layer on the processor...then stick the heatsink on it and put it in the mobo

if you put on too much or just put dots on instead of a layer, the contact between the HSF and processor will drop leading to higher temps

45C is pretty high for idle....i run about 37 idle and i have a slight OC and a hotter running amd 64

Rubbing a dab into the die and the area that the die will rest against the heatsink will help fill up any scraches or low spots and allow for better heat transfer.

i e-mailed artic silver, and they told me this:

Hi Ryan,

I know the instructions are a bit confusing, we are working on this.
It sounds like you have too much goop. Tinting of the heatsink is not
necessary with AS5, and when done properly, all of the visible
compound is wiped off. I would suggest reapplying thin layer to the
CPU die only (starting with dollop about the size of 1/2 a grain of
uncooked rice.)

--
Colin Thompson
Arctic Silver, Inc.
Voice (559) 740-0912
Fax (559) 740-0913
colin@arcticsilver.com
www.arcticsilver.com

On the instructions of the Arctic silver page it says you should only put a dot of it about half as big as a grain of uncooked rice, then put a plastic bag over your finger and spread it a little bit.

yup like they said in the old instructions " A little goes a long way" Put very little and spread it out. So i would say redo it.

what the heck, when i did mine i put a small drop about half a grain onto the cpu only, then put my heatsink right on top of it, without spreading or anything, i actually called up artic silver and the said "yup, you should have no problems whatsoever" and today my cpu is running at 49 degrees idling, i think im gonna reapply it when i get a new cpu cooler

does anybody have any ideas on a good and quiet cooler? i was basically looking at Tt stuff cuz they seem to have the market down cold (no pun intended). sad thing was, i WAS gonna go work for spire cooling .. oh well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom