Please teach me how to overclock my E6600

Status
Not open for further replies.

vhayne

Solid State Member
Ok, I just finished building my new system 2 nights ago. I'll begin by giving the specs:

Core 2 Duo E6600 cooled by Zalman CNPS9500 LED
Corsair XMS2 2gb 800 EPP
Asus P5N32-SLI Premium nForce 590
XFX 7950GX2 Extreme Edition
X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
Silverstone Strider 600w Power Supply
DVD Burner
Maxtor 250gb 7200rpm HD
Antec P180b case with 1 extra case fan

I'm TOTALLY new to the overclocking thing, but I know I want to do it, hence why I bought the aftermarket CPU cooler. So far I've used a program that came with my mobo called AI Booster, and selected a setting FSB 1280/800. It set my CPU speed to 2.888mhz, so it's a little bit overclocked right now. Running at 30C also (probably due to this room being a bit hot).

So, basically, I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to safely increase the speed more. I'm also trying to figure out how to determine what my memory speed is set at. I know this mobo has had issues with 800 memory, setting them to 667. I'm not sure what mine is on right now.

I've been trying to learn on my own, about FSB's, voltages, and multipliers, but I can't seem to relate any of these things to my BIOS options. I don't want to make a stupid mistake, because I'm ignorant. So I've come to you guys for help. :)

Any advice you can give, I thank you in advance. But please don't say something like "you need to increase the voltage to 1.25, and the FSB to XXXX, etc." I won't have a clue how to do these things. lol

my advice is to get an old system, maybe a celeron or something (nothing made by a company (like HP or Dell) has be a custom) and overclcok on that just so you can learn so you dont run the risk of killing your main rig

COD2_fanatic said:
my advice is to get an old system, maybe a celeron or something (nothing made by a company (like HP or Dell) has be a custom) and overclcok on that just so you can learn so you dont run the risk of killing your main rig

Thats not nice.

COD2_fanatic said:

Like an HP or an DELL is going to have any BIOS settings for this type of stuff?

Lord AnthraX said:
Like an HP or an DELL is going to have any BIOS settings for this type of stuff?

If you re-read it, he means NOT an HP or Dell.

to the OP: Just read up on OCing. Read a LOT before you do anything. If you have specific questions come back here and we'll try to help.

yes just in case you didnt know or were wondering why he said no hp or dell or company made its becasue they lock there bios so that you cant overclock.. well not all companies... alienware dosent bc they use regular boards .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom